Sign in with
Your question

Adapter vs converter

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2013 10:57:15 PM

Hello,
I dont have a hdmi port on my laptop and wish to connect to my big screen tv whats the best route to take?

More about : adapter converter

January 6, 2013 11:13:42 PM

If your TV has a VGA input and your laptop has a VGA output (usually in blue) you can use it, it is good. Now if you still want to connect through HDMI then you probably need to find a Docking Station for your laptop and attach it to it (if exists with hdmi) I don't know what laptop are we talking about?
January 6, 2013 11:19:20 PM

damian86 said:
If your TV has a VGA input and your laptop has a VGA output (usually in blue) you can use it, it is good. Now if you still want to connect through HDMI then you probably need to find a Docking Station for your laptop and attach it to it (if exists with hdmi) I don't know what laptop are we talking about?

the tv does not have a VGA. It has a hdmi and the Dell laptop has USB & VGA. Just in the little bit of reading i have done - it sounds like something more than a cable will give me a better picture; is that true?
Related resources
January 6, 2013 11:52:21 PM

Well if your TV only has HDMI ports and your laptop VGA you probably can use a converter similar to this one here http://www.maplin.co.uk/vga-to-hdmi-convertor-with-audi...
It looks like you will be able to use an HD resolution (1080p) with something like this
Now if there are docking stations for your laptop with HDMI outputs then that is another option.
January 7, 2013 12:08:21 AM

damian86 said:
Well if your TV only has HDMI ports and your laptop VGA you probably can use a converter similar to this one here http://www.maplin.co.uk/vga-to-hdmi-convertor-with-audi...
It looks like you will be able to use an HD resolution (1080p) with something like this
Now if there are docking stations for your laptop with HDMI outputs then that is another option.

Thank you. What do you consider a docking station? Thanks so much.
January 8, 2013 12:06:58 AM

It is what they also call port replicator. It is a base with many outputs,vga, usbs,hdmi, ps2, etc. you sit your laptop in it. Here is an example

www.sony.co.uk/product/vaio-docking-stations/vgp-prs20

In that case you will need to find one for your model and make sure it comes with hdmi but this is uncommon. Not many docking stations comes with a hdmi port. To be honest I would go for an adapter.
!