Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gtx 670 gigabyte or directcu ii top

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 1:03:13 PM

as in the title i am so confused between them , i can c that the asus one is a lot faster than the gigabyte but i found that many people have faced lots of problems with this card in newegg.com , in other way this card took 10/10 in many reviews , and i haven't overclocked a card b4 as this is my first upgrade so i am afraid of getting the gigabyte and overclock it myself as i didn't try this b4
what should i buy ???
and my second question is this psu good for this card ??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i am buying a new pc so i don't want to get over what i need i think this 500 wt is enough for gtx 670 as said in geforce website
July 4, 2012 5:46:40 PM

rolli59 said:
That PSU is crap here is a better 500watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or a 550watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or a 600watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
A bigger PSU does not mean more power consumption since it will only give what the components pull.
I would go with the ASUS card.

sorry but i these ones are not available in my country :( 
i can only choose from those and can't pay more :S
http://www.egprices.com/adv_search_res.php?name=&brand=...

and also are you sure that the asus is a good choice for the vga card ??
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 6:37:10 PM

owbm3297 said:
sorry but i these ones are not available in my country :( 
i can only choose from those and can't pay more :S
http://www.egprices.com/adv_search_res.php?name=&brand=...

and also are you sure that the asus is a good choice for the vga card ??

Get the Corsair one, they make excellent PSU's
m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 7:18:40 PM

looking at the power design:
Gigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC Review
Quote:
One of the more interesting aspects of the WindForce 3X OC is its use of a reference GTX 680 PCB (albeit in Gigabyte blue) rather than the scaled down unit used on most other GTX 670 cards. This means it uses an advanced 5+2 phase power distribution network with Gigabyte opting to install an additional GPU power phase for a bit more stability at high clock speeds

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP review
Quote:
The GeForce GTX 670 has a maximum power consumption of 170 Watts (give or take a little), you'll need to power the card with two 6-pin PCIe PEG lead from your power supply. Due to the small PCB the connectors look a little oddly placed, but that is because the cooler is longer than the actual PCB. The card will have a Digital VRM circuitry (DIGI+). The GPU gets 6 power phases assigned and the memory another 2 separate phases.

the asus 6+2 is slightly better than the gigabyte 5+2.

vote for asus.
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:20:57 PM

Anonymous said:
looking at the power design:
Gigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC Review
Quote:
One of the more interesting aspects of the WindForce 3X OC is its use of a reference GTX 680 PCB (albeit in Gigabyte blue) rather than the scaled down unit used on most other GTX 670 cards. This means it uses an advanced 5+2 phase power distribution network with Gigabyte opting to install an additional GPU power phase for a bit more stability at high clock speeds

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP review
Quote:
The GeForce GTX 670 has a maximum power consumption of 170 Watts (give or take a little), you'll need to power the card with two 6-pin PCIe PEG lead from your power supply. Due to the small PCB the connectors look a little oddly placed, but that is because the cooler is longer than the actual PCB. The card will have a Digital VRM circuitry (DIGI+). The GPU gets 6 power phases assigned and the memory another 2 separate phases.

the asus 6+2 is slightly better than the gigabyte 5+2.

vote for asus.

The gigabyte one is cooler than the Asus one, and people reach the highest clock speeds on the Gigabyte models.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 7:32:48 PM

maxh22 said:
The gigabyte one is cooler than the Asus one, and people reach the highest clock speeds on the Gigabyte models.

Quote:
Gigabyte’s WindForce heatsinks . . . Its three fans and large cooling area result in a 17 degree temperature reduction over the reference solution. Not only does this allow for higher overclocks (as we will see on the next page) but as mentioned in the introduction, this card’s Boost Clocks reach sky high speeds for bleeding edge performance.

my fault for not reading the whole article. :( 

i'm flipping!

gigabyte.
July 4, 2012 7:43:46 PM

**The gigabyte one is cooler than the Asus one**
Please define 'cooler'?
Are you talking aesthetically or running temperatures?
I vote the Asus as I'm a proud 2x6950 2Gb DCIIH20 owner anyway
Moto
m
l
July 4, 2012 9:07:19 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
**The gigabyte one is cooler than the Asus one**
Please define 'cooler'?
Are you talking aesthetically or running temperatures?
I vote the Asus as I'm a proud 2x6950 2Gb DCIIH20 owner anyway
Moto

The temps are better because It has 3 fans, the Asus one is good as well just the Gigabyte one is like 5% cooler in temps.
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:17:56 PM

owbm3297 said:
Thanks everybody I decided to go for the gigabyte one ... It looks cooler :) 
One last question ... How do you find this PSU ??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its good enough for the card you are getting but don't plan on SLIing two 670's with that PSU.

I say go with a 750 watt just in case, this way you have some overclocking headroom and you can SLI two 670's!!
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:31:25 PM

maxh22 said:
Its good enough for the card you are getting but don't plan on SLIing two 670's with that PSU.

I say go with a 750 watt just in case, this way you have some overclocking headroom and you can SLI two 670's!!

fine I won't sli the card but I will overclock it will it be a problem ?
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:38:03 PM

owbm3297 said:

Well the specs say you need a minimum of a 550 watt psu, so If i were you I'd go for a 600 watt PSU if your not planning on SLIing Gtx 670's
m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 11:35:06 PM

owbm3297 said:

you can sli 670s with a 500 watt PSU just don't be benching them with furmark and running prime95 on your cpu @ the same time. but gaming, it will handle it with an lightly oc'd intel cpu.
so a 500 will be enough for an overclocked single card and an overclocked AMD cpu.
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:42:14 PM

Anonymous said:
you can sli 670s with a 500 watt PSU just don't be benching them with furmark and running prime95 on your cpu @ the same time. but gaming, it will handle it with an lightly oc'd intel cpu.
so a 500 will be enough for an overclocked single card and an overclocked AMD cpu.

it wont deliver all the 500 watts, especially considering that each 670 takes 170 watts of power not to mention the cpu, and all the other components. He is getting the Gigabyte card, which uses 1x6 and 1x8 pin for power, not to mention he wants to overclock the card which will draw even more power. After all this 500 wats is pushing it and he won't get the best performance :pfff: 
m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 11:56:57 PM

maxh22 said:
it wont deliver all the 500 watts, especially considering that each 670 takes 170 watts of power not to mention the cpu, and all the other components. He is getting the Gigabyte card, which uses 1x6 and 1x8 pin for power, not to mention he wants to overclock the card which will draw even more power. After all this 500 wats is pushing it and he won't get the best performance :pfff: 

don't :pfff:  me lil guy.
first of all a 500 watt psu will run those in sli, do a little math; a 34 amp rail will run 408 watts. the maximum power draw will not be hit unless, as i stated, in benchmarking and not normal gameplay. but yes the 6 and 8 connectors does put a bit of a problem using that PSU.

however it still does not inhibit the OP from using a CX500 to run their system with a single overclocked GTX 670 and more appropriate than getting a larger one just for "comfort level".
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:39:04 AM

Anonymous said:
don't :pfff:  me lil guy.
first of all a 500 watt psu will run those in sli, do a little math; a 34 amp rail will run 408 watts. the maximum power draw will not be hit unless, as i stated, in benchmarking and not normal gameplay. but yes the 6 and 8 connectors does put a bit of a problem using that PSU.

however it still does not inhibit the OP from using a CX500 to run their system with a single overclocked GTX 670 and more appropriate than getting a larger one just for "comfort level".

Ok , anyway we don't even know the rest of his specs!
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:05:38 AM

maxh22 said:
Ok , anyway we don't even know the rest of his specs!

aha ok these are the specs i am upgrading to isa :) 
mb ASRock H61M-DGS Socket 1155
ram 4 gb " i currently have "
vga gtx 670 gigabyte
cpu i5 3570k
hdd i know it's western 1 tb but i don't know much info about it :D 
another 160 gb old hdd
m
l
July 14, 2012 4:03:40 PM

Best answer selected by owbm3297.
m
l