I5 or i7?

Looking to upgrade an old dual-core AMD X2, thinking about an i5 or i7. Suggestions? The main use of our computer would be itunes/email, very very little gaming (old games at that), windows 7 Pro 64 bit...and also to use handbrake to render MP4 files from homemade DVDs (i.e. turning VOB files to MP4). Our Macbook Air renders them at around 200 FPS while the X2 PC renders them at a measly 10 FPS; needless to say I don't like pushing the Macbook Air too much...plus our PC is 5 years old. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to pay the extra $100 for an i7? What about Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge? I've heard about some cooling issues with the Ivy Bridge processors. Not planning on obtaining a video card off the bat, just using the Intel 3000/4000 integrated with the chip. Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. A Core i7 performs about 20% better than a comparable Core i5 in Handbrake.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370-15.html

I'd probably recommend an Ivy Bridge Core i5. The cooling issue with Ivy Bridge only really affects overclocking, and it just means Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge usually end up with roughly comparable overclocked performance. Ivy Bridge has better performance at stock clocks and uses less power.
  2. i5 is perfectly good cpu
  3. i agree with you dude... the i5 is enough
  4. i5 3570k for overclocking. ivy bridge beats sandy bridge, even after overclocking both, but starts gaining lots of heat after a certain voltage. spend any spare $$$ on a decent solid state drive and cpu cooler if you are somewhat versed in adding/replacing parts. if you change the cpu, you will need to change the motherboard unless it is a new build or buy.
  5. Thanks for the suggestions...I'll probably save the $100 and go with an IB i5 with an aftermarket cooler. I'm sure anything at this point will be better than my 2.0 GHz X2 with Win 7 32 bit.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5