Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I5-3570 or I7-3770

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 7, 2013 12:48:47 AM

Hi all, I couldn't really get a clear answer in the gaming forum so hopefully I can get one here.

Can upgrading my CPU help improve performance while recording gameplay?

I currently have an I5-2300 2.8GHz. I can record just fine with MSI Afterburner at 60fps, but I get random stutters and sometimes framerate dips (this only happens WHILE recording, without recording everything is smooth). If I switch over to 30fps, the playback is terrible and incredibly choppy. So I'd want to stick with recording at 60 fps, it works for me.

Will upgrading to either one of those eliminate random stutters and framerate drops?

Also, I tend to do a lot of rendering/uploading, usually at the same time. Would the I7 help with that? Certain render times can be a pain in the ass.

I'm going to check my motherboard as well, but I can't upgrade to a CPU that ends in a "k", right? Or am I completely wrong here?

If you need to know anything else, just let me know.

More about : 3570 3770

a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 1:15:42 AM

It won't help with recording gameply.
It may help with the rendering if you mean editing the renderings. It depends on the software being used and whether it is setup for multi-threading.
Uploading the renderings from what to what?
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 1:26:47 AM

jnkweaver said:
It won't help with recording gameply.
It may help with the rendering if you mean editing the renderings. It depends on the software being used and whether it is setup for multi-threading.
Uploading the renderings from what to what?



I use Sony Vegas, don't really have problems with it.

I upload to Youtube, I just upload and render videos at the same time.

Do you know what I could upgrade to get rid of the stuttering while recording?

I have a GTX 660 Ti graphics card.

I also record on a 500gb external HDD that only has 120gb space left. Could that be my problem?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 1:30:53 AM

The I7 won't make faster your IO ops or uploading to the web.

I don't know what would be causing the stuttering. I assume you have updated the drivers and firmware to the hardware.

Try suspending the antivirus for a short time and see if that matters. Don't do it forever though.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 2:00:58 AM

jnkweaver said:
The I7 won't make faster your IO ops or uploading to the web.

I don't know what would be causing the stuttering. I assume you have updated the drivers and firmware to the hardware.

Try suspending the antivirus for a short time and see if that matters. Don't do it forever though.


I've completely forgotten to check. I'll try recording BF3 and see if there's still some stuttering after I update the drivers.

Do you think SLI'ing two 660's would help out?

I just saw this video, and two 660's seem to perform slightly better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJI8f81a9IA
m
0
l

Best solution

January 7, 2013 3:16:55 AM

I think antivirus will do nothing. In terms of processors, I7's dramatically improve performance in certain apps that take advantage of the multi threading capability. A good example of this is adobe, things like premiere are significantly faster on an 3770k than a 3570k, but with games the difference is indiscernible.

I am not familliar with the msi after burner software, and am unable to say if it is optimized for multithreading.

The hard drive speed could be the problem, but i doubt it, I would assume the software uses some sort of buffer, if not thought it could be a problem. If each screenshot is 1920 x 1080, it should be about 1 megabyte, and 60 fps would be 60 megabytes per second, assuming standard jpg formats. although this is below theorettical write speed for a mechanical drive, real world performance rarely meets this, and it could be an issue.

Another thing to consider is whether the afterburner software utilizes the gpu or cpu in its record process. If it is gpu powered a vid card upgrade should help things along.
Share
January 7, 2013 4:46:25 AM

eshepard said:
I think antivirus will do nothing. In terms of processors, I7's dramatically improve performance in certain apps that take advantage of the multi threading capability. A good example of this is adobe, things like premiere are significantly faster on an 3770k than a 3570k, but with games the difference is indiscernible.

I am not familliar with the msi after burner software, and am unable to say if it is optimized for multithreading.

The hard drive speed could be the problem, but i doubt it, I would assume the software uses some sort of buffer, if not thought it could be a problem. If each screenshot is 1920 x 1080, it should be about 1 megabyte, and 60 fps would be 60 megabytes per second, assuming standard jpg formats. although this is below theorettical write speed for a mechanical drive, real world performance rarely meets this, and it could be an issue.

Another thing to consider is whether the afterburner software utilizes the gpu or cpu in its record process. If it is gpu powered a vid card upgrade should help things along.


I was assuming it had to do with the graphics card, since everyone kept shooting down upgrading CPU's for recording gameplay.

I think I'm just going to record with an elgato. The quality looks amazing and it's a separate recording device, so it doesn't put stress on the CPU.

Thanks for the help though!
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 4:47:12 AM

Best answer selected by Scorch48202.
m
0
l
!