Where and how to grind fishing

I have just been wondering. I have 161 at fishing and would like to push it
up a little. So far I have had two scenarios:

- I keep fishing but only raise my skill every umpteenth fish -> slow and
boring

- I keep fisihin but the fish get away

I figure in the first case the fishing is too low for my skill and in the
second case it is too hard for my skill.

I guess using some of those shiny gems on my fishing rod would help a little
in the second case but what I am really looking for is some hints to where
the best places are to grind fishing. Something along the lines:

160-170 place X
170-180 place Y
etc, you get the picture.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (45), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Urbin" <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote in message
>I have just been wondering. I have 161 at fishing and would like to push it
> up a little. So far I have had two scenarios:
>
> - I keep fishing but only raise my skill every umpteenth fish -> slow and
> boring
>
> - I keep fisihin but the fish get away
>
> I figure in the first case the fishing is too low for my skill and in the
> second case it is too hard for my skill.
>
> I guess using some of those shiny gems on my fishing rod would help a little
> in the second case but what I am really looking for is some hints to where
> the best places are to grind fishing. Something along the lines:
>
> 160-170 place X
> 170-180 place Y
> etc, you get the picture.

Basically the level of fishing (and the rate of skill gain) depends on the level
of the zone you are in. I know the hinderlands needs around 185 fishing (and
using lures) to fish there, that that's a level 45-50ish zone. So maybe try
level 30-40 zones for your fishing level? And using lures when you get a fish
get away will give you skillups much faster than fishing in a lower area.

>>I have just been wondering. I have 161 at fishing and would like to push
>>it
>> up a little. So far I have had two scenarios:
>>
>> - I keep fishing but only raise my skill every umpteenth fish -> slow and
>> boring
>>
>> - I keep fisihin but the fish get away
>>
>> I figure in the first case the fishing is too low for my skill and in the
>> second case it is too hard for my skill.
>>
>> I guess using some of those shiny gems on my fishing rod would help a
>> little
>> in the second case but what I am really looking for is some hints to
>> where
>> the best places are to grind fishing. Something along the lines:
>>
>> 160-170 place X
>> 170-180 place Y
>> etc, you get the picture.
>>

> Basically the level of fishing (and the rate of skill gain) depends on the
> level of the zone you are in. I know the hinderlands needs around 185
> fishing (and using lures) to fish there, that that's a level 45-50ish
> zone. So maybe try level 30-40 zones for your fishing level? And using
> lures when you get a fish get away will give you skillups much faster than
> fishing in a lower area.

Its strange fishing, I was fishing in Darkshore for some darkshore grouper
when I was about 160, it seemed to be skilling me up just as fast as any
other area, despite it probably being a level 20-50 fishing area.

Maybe this wouldn't be the case now I'm at 225 fishing (I'm artisan now, but
haven't bothered to skill it up anymore yet) I don't know, but I may test it
one day.

Help a little? You don't fish without them! :) For 160 I'd use some lures
and try Stranglethorn Vale. At about 190 you could try Tanaris, thats
pretty much where I leveled up to
225. At 225 I would try Feralas, a few may get away but you can catch
Stonescale Eel that can go for 1g each!

I was fishing in Feralas with over 300 fishing skill with a lure and some
were still getting away (and Feralas isnt really an end game zone) I guess
the end game zones you need 300 skill fishing + 100 lure or whatever those
aquadynamic fish attracters are.

I always make a point of stopping at any fisherman I meet when travelling
to buy up all their aquadynamic lures, I think engineers can make these but
I don't know how in demand they are and they may choose not to make them and
list them in AH.

Theres a handy mod, think its called Tacklebox SA or something, it auto
casts your fishing pole when you catch something. Theres another mod that
records what fish you caught in what area.

It took me 45 minutes of shellfish trap catching before I got my big iron
fishing pole, it had become so automatic I didn't notice it come up for a
few seconds. I had previously searched for about 45 mins about a month
before and not found one, but the second time I brought along greater water
breathing potions instead of lesser. If your horde you can get a better
fishing rod from a quest I think.

I just saw this in a patch note :
"Patch 0.11.0 28 September 2004

All zones now have fishing, with artisan fishing added to support the
new zones. Some of the zones are going to be pretty hard to fish and will
require bait and a good fishing pole. Note that some fish can only be caught
at certain times of day."

Wonder what fish only come out during the night and or day!

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:31:35 +0100, Fugwump <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> Urbin wrote
>
> >I have just been wondering. I have 161 at fishing and would like to push
> >it up a little. So far I have had two scenarios:
> >

> Its strange fishing, I was fishing in Darkshore for some darkshore grouper
> when I was about 160, it seemed to be skilling me up just as fast as any
> other area, despite it probably being a level 20-50 fishing area.
>
> Maybe this wouldn't be the case now I'm at 225 fishing (I'm artisan now, but
> haven't bothered to skill it up anymore yet) I don't know, but I may test it
> one day.
>
> I was fishing in Feralas with over 300 fishing skill with a lure and some
> were still getting away (and Feralas isnt really an end game zone) I guess
> the end game zones you need 300 skill fishing + 100 lure or whatever those
> aquadynamic fish attracters are.

Thanks for your extensive hints. I will certainly try these.

Cheers
Urbin

--

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:19:54 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

>I have just been wondering. I have 161 at fishing and would like to push it
>up a little. So far I have had two scenarios:
>
>- I keep fishing but only raise my skill every umpteenth fish -> slow and
> boring
>
>- I keep fisihin but the fish get away
>
>I figure in the first case the fishing is too low for my skill and in the
>second case it is too hard for my skill.
>
>I guess using some of those shiny gems on my fishing rod would help a little
>in the second case but what I am really looking for is some hints to where
>the best places are to grind fishing. Something along the lines:
>
>160-170 place X
>170-180 place Y
>etc, you get the picture.

I went from about 75 (with a lure, I think) up to 225, all at Menethil
Harbour, and really didn't notice much difference - even at 225 the odd one
gets away, and the levelling after125 or so was all at the same speed,
varying between one every fish to one every 5-6 fish, to one every fish
again... it seems totally random to me, to be honest! I was incredibly
surprised to reach 225 while still at Menethil, but it was my preferred
spot for Oily Blackmouth and Firefin Snappers (alchemist + happy to take
the money I could get for selling the ones I didn't use), so I never
bothered looking for anywhere else to go, seeing as it still seemed to be
levelling up anyway.

Admittedly I've been out of the game for a couple of months (considering
going back soon, hence reading this group to see what's changed!), so maybe
it's changed since I was playing, but the fishing skillups never seemed at
all consistent to me. I could well have got beyond 225, but I haven't done
the quest for artisan yet - if I ever do that, I'll test it and see exactly
how far Menethil can take my skill.

rene

"Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

[snipped text about fishing]

> I just saw this in a patch note :
> "Patch 0.11.0 28 September 2004
>
> All zones now have fishing, with artisan fishing added to support the
> new zones. Some of the zones are going to be pretty hard to fish and will
> require bait and a good fishing pole. Note that some fish can only be
> caught at certain times of day."
>
> Wonder what fish only come out during the night and or day!

Nightfin Snapper, Sunscale Salmon (Day or Night respectivly, both can be
fished during dawn/dusk). There's also Summer Bass and Winter Squid that
are seasonal.

CU

René

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

In article <20050814140152.508$In@newsreader.com>,
Rene <invalid@email.addr> wrote:

> "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snipped text about fishing]
>
> > I just saw this in a patch note :
> > "Patch 0.11.0 28 September 2004
> >
> > All zones now have fishing, with artisan fishing added to support the
> > new zones. Some of the zones are going to be pretty hard to fish and will
> > require bait and a good fishing pole. Note that some fish can only be
> > caught at certain times of day."
> >
> > Wonder what fish only come out during the night and or day!
>
> Nightfin Snapper, Sunscale Salmon (Day or Night respectivly, both can be
> fished during dawn/dusk). There's also Summer Bass and Winter Squid that
> are seasonal.

That's pretty funny... gonna be awhile before we can enjoy that precious
squid again. Besides the cooking recipes for marginally interesting
buffs, are there any other uses?

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (60), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

rene

chocolatemalt <chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote:
> In article <20050814140152.508$In@newsreader.com>,
> Rene <invalid@email.addr> wrote:
>
> > "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [snipped text about fishing]
> >
> > > I just saw this in a patch note :
> > > "Patch 0.11.0 28 September 2004
> > >
> > > All zones now have fishing, with artisan fishing added to support the
> > > new zones. Some of the zones are going to be pretty hard to fish and
> > > will require bait and a good fishing pole. Note that some fish can
> > > only be caught at certain times of day."
> > >
> > > Wonder what fish only come out during the night and or day!
> >
> > Nightfin Snapper, Sunscale Salmon (Day or Night respectivly, both can
> > be fished during dawn/dusk). There's also Summer Bass and Winter Squid
> > that are seasonal.
>
> That's pretty funny... gonna be awhile before we can enjoy that precious
> squid again. Besides the cooking recipes for marginally interesting
> buffs, are there any other uses?

I don't think so, that's all there is imho. But two things about that: -
The effects are not too marginal, considering it is very easy to get them
(once you have fishing up there, that is) and Blizzard somewhere said that
they will make fishing more rewarding again.

And any Buff is a good buff, specially when they stack. Deviate is fun only
(ok, mostly) but ~900MP / HP regeneration "for free", I'm not saying no...

Of course this stuff stacks, with the crystal effects in un'goro or the
funny buffs you can get in Blasted Lands or the purified flower stuff in
Felwood. Collect, combine and get quite a boost. Might come handy in hard
instances or when you want to finally down your PvP Arch-enemy.