New Build Specs - Advice Wanted Please!

joncollin81

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hi folks,

I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my current (Asus P5K Premium/Q6600 based) homebuilt PC which is nearly 5 years old.

I have put together a list of components for my new PC and would appreciate any help/advice people can offer on how suitable they are, or whether there are better components available for a similar price. I will be using this new PC for gaming, watching movies, listening to music and web-browsing.

Specs as follows-
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini
MB: Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: 120GB Sandisk Extreme SATA 3
Optical: LiteOn IHOS104-06 Blu-ray
Graphics: 1280MB EVGA GTX570 HD SuperClocked
PSU: 650W Corsair CMPSU-650HXUK

Thanks in advance for all help/advice/comments!

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
You went overkill on the mobo. A Gigabyte Z77 UD3H/UD5H or Asrock Z77 Extreme4 will do you good.

Get a CMaster Hyper 212 EVO for $30 for the heatsink. Performs like a beast.

Theres practically no use in getting the 5XX series now since AMD has slashed prices on their 7XXX cards :D. (by a large amount I say, $50.) A 7870/660Ti will be far better while consuming less power. Oh and get one from Gigabyte, MSI or Asus as they have awesome coolers.

Not sure on the SSD, I usually recommend the Vertex 4 or M4.

Lastly, you may want a larger case lol. -NZXT Phantom 410/Switch 810/Corsair 500R/550D-

joncollin81

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for the quick reponse :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I specifically wanted to build a Micro ATX system, hence why I chose the Asus Maximus V Gene/Arc Mini combination. I would happily select a cheaper M-ATX Z77 motherboard if it had similar reliability/features (this is currently the 3rd most expensive component of the build, after CPU and Graphics Card).

I will definitely look into the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO - it sounds like a beast too!!

Thanks for the suggestion re: the graphics card - I had a rough budget in mind of around £200, and the AMD HD7870 cards are coming in at around this price point. Although the AMD HD7950/GeForce 660Ti cards are only about £30 more - would it be worth spending the extra £30?

I saw some recent SSD comparisons which rated the Sandisk Extreme SATA 3 SSDs very highly indeed hence why I chose that particular one, although I have heard some good things about the Vertex M4 SSDs also.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions...!!