rugger7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
So I need some quick advice. My current build is about 5 years old, and I'm wondering if I can extend its life a little more with an upgrade. Currently, the main components are:

CPU: e8400
Mem: 4 GB
Video: ATI 4800 series (not by the comp so I can't remember exactly which one)

My question is, would a more modern graphics card be bottlenecked by the CPU? While I've priced out a new build, the current rig does 90% of what I need it to do, though it is starting to show its age in games. I'd rather not spend the extra money if I don't need to.

doct3rphil

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
if you have the money, that platform is pretty aged now so new mobo/cpu would be advisable. start looking at intel sand bridge pentiums or i3, 8gb memory, and a current gen graphics card.

rugger7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007

What kind of overclock are you thinking? Increase to around 3.4Ghz? 7800 series would be great, I was thinking more in the 6800s. How much boost would I get from an increase in RAM as well?

I like hanging a gen or two behind the curve as the components are cheaper. Buying games a year or two after they come out helps this as I never need cutting edge parts (and again, keeps costs down).