Aftermarket vga heatsink question

jibbajoe0129

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I currently have a sapphire hd 6870 with a stock fan and heat sink and im planning on upgrading to the RCTIC COOLING Accelero TWIN TURBO Pro. Right now i control the fan speed using Catalyst Control Center. MY question is, if i get the aftermarket heatsink how will i be able to control the fan speed?

Solution
Oh, and the two plugs are one for each fan. I am not sure if you card can take both. But you can buy A y-splitter if your card only has one plug

jibbajoe0129

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I overclock my card everytime i play a game. and recently the temps have been getting up to 60C. they have never been this high in the past and its probably due to the warm room my comp is in. So yea, im looking into this to overclock and lower temps.

Also i noticed that the cooler has 2 plugs. Any idea what they are both for? and will the card have a spot for both of them?

Good cooling is always nice. But just FYI, these cards can take a lot of punishment. Their thermal limit is 98C or so, and many people burn them up to 70+ while gaming. Anything under 80 is pretty safe

jibbajoe0129

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Im also in the mood to spend money on my computer as im sure many people can relate...i realize its probably not necessary, but thank you.

Also i heard just re-applying thermal compound can help a lot, like arctic silver. Is that worth doing?

This is just an edit for the 2 power connectors for the fans:
I found an in depth review of the cooler and it said that one connecter is a 3 pin and the other is a 4 pin so if the card can support fan speed control (which this does) then the cooler can use it, OR it can be connected directly to the power supply

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Arctic-Cooling-Accelero-Twin-Turbo-Pro-VGA-Cooler-Review/1074/2

oh cool, that solves the fan controller issue.

as for re-applying thermal compound, yeah, it can help. I think if you're interested in putting on an aftermarket cooler anyway, you might as well try re-applying arctic silver. you'll be taking the current heatsink off anyway.

TRENDING THREADS