Blank pixels on desktop (Unlocked HD 6950)

00Dan

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I own an unlocked HD 6950 2gb. I recently started having issues with blank white pixels on my desktop, but only my desktop, games seem artifact free. CCC reports the card is idling at about 35C yet I still get the errors. I tried updating the drivers (on 12.6 now) with no luck. I then tried reseating the card. Again, no luck. I just now tried flipping the switch to run it with the 6950 bios instead of a 6970 and still didn't help. I'm fairly certain it is the card and not the monitor as they did show up in a screenshot. Any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling I'll have to end up RMAing the card but until then would like to see if any other fixes are available.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Is there a reason why you unlocked the 6950? Unless it's the original 2GB (reference design) that can be unlocked to 6970 then it's okay. Otherwise, you will have to RMA it. I am not too sure on the warranty on the card with flashing BIOS. Some manufacturers are okay with it.

00Dan

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

It is an original reference 2GB, It unlocked fine. It's been running fine for almost a year and I just now started having these issues.

00Dan

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Experimented some more and it seems the problem is indeed isolated to the main desktop and my browser. Videos, games, etc are completely artifact free. Any idea if it's still my card or might it be software?

00Dan

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Nothing recently. I tried the method of boosting the 2d mode idle clocks and it seems to work but if it will fix it for any amount of time remains to be seen.