Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't remove this program!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:21:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

AOL came bundled with my HP laptop. There is a desktop icon to set it
up. I want to remove all traces of AOL from the computer. Because I
have never gone through the setup process, and do not want to, there is
nothing in "Add/Remove Programs" for AOL.

How do I remove this from the laptop?

Thanks

More about : remove program

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks, I will just do this and then use JVPowerTools to clean up the
registry.

Did you have any ideas about my other question, just below, about the
locked desktop icons?

Thanks
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:28:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:

>AOL came bundled with my HP laptop. There is a desktop icon to set it
>up. I want to remove all traces of AOL from the computer. Because I
>have never gone through the setup process, and do not want to, there is
>nothing in "Add/Remove Programs" for AOL.
>
>How do I remove this from the laptop?

Scan the Registry for AOL and remove all references. Also check for
"AOL" on your HDD and delete the files for this application manually.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:39:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:
> AOL came bundled with my HP laptop. There is a desktop icon to set it
> up. I want to remove all traces of AOL from the computer. Because I
> have never gone through the setup process, and do not want to, there
> is nothing in "Add/Remove Programs" for AOL.
>
> How do I remove this from the laptop?
>
> Thanks

Search for a file in the Windows\INF folder called " sysoc.inf " [you have
to set up Explorer to show all files]. See if AOL is listed in this file
with a HIDE parameter. Edit to remove HIDE (leave the commas with nothing
between) save and reboot.
--
Remove nospam in email
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:12:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

shepard97504@yahoo.com wrote:

>Thanks, I will just do this and then use JVPowerTools to clean up the
>registry.

You are welcome.

>Did you have any ideas about my other question, just below, about the
>locked desktop icons?

Unfortunately no.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233
!