Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building a PC, need your opinions

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 23, 2012 1:25:25 PM

Hello. I'm new here but I've been visiting and reading threads in these forums as reference when I'm confused about deciding which parts to buy in the past when upgrading.
This is my first time attempting on building a PC, so please bear with me.

Also, if possible, please don't concern yourself anymore on what the PC will be for. I would just like some feedbacks if the rig so far is compatible and/or if I will possibly have problems with it during the long-term run.

i7-3770 (I don't think I'll be OC'ing, so yeah)
Asus P8Z77-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Kingston T1 Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (debating whether to get ASUS, MSI, or Sapphire)
Cooler Master 600W ATX12V Power Supply
Gigabyte Setto II 142
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I am also open to suggestions if ever you think I should change some parts to avoid complications.

EDIT: Not sure if it matters- my OS would be Windows 7 Ultimate.

More about : building opinions

a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 1:52:20 PM

Quote:
Also, if possible, please don't concern yourself anymore on what the PC will be for.


We must know that... if you tell us that the PC you listed will be used for playing minecraft we will say its overkill, if you say it will be for gaming the vast majority will say that the i7 is not needed ans so on.... so if you want our help then tell us what this PC will be used for.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 2:23:17 PM

Yes, it all appears compatible.

I'm not a big fan of Cooler Master Power Supplies. I'd stick with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or FSP (Fortran Source).

I question why you've selected a Micro-ATX motherboard when your case will accept a full ATX motherboard.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 10:13:32 AM

idroid said:
Quote:
Also, if possible, please don't concern yourself anymore on what the PC will be for.


We must know that... if you tell us that the PC you listed will be used for playing minecraft we will say its overkill, if you say it will be for gaming the vast majority will say that the i7 is not needed ans so on.... so if you want our help then tell us what this PC will be used for.

To be honest, that's what I was trying to avoid. XD
I don't really mind if it's overkill; I plan on using this for at least the next 5 years..
But if it helps- I'll mostly be using it for gaming, and multimedia arts stuff for class such as 3d, 2d animations.


Wolfshadw said:
Yes, it all appears compatible.

I'm not a big fan of Cooler Master Power Supplies. I'd stick with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or FSP (Fortran Source).

I question why you've selected a Micro-ATX motherboard when your case will accept a full ATX motherboard.

-Wolf sends

What about Viking 6062/67 Series ATX 600W PSU or Viking 8018/19 Series ATX 600W PSU to replace the Gigabyte casing and Cooler master PSU? Would they be better options?

Oh and, there's no real reason why i chose a mATX other than I can't find any other ATX board that's in the same price range and has the same features. Especially the SLI and Crossfire support. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

EDIT: I just realized the Viking series cases I gave don't appear anywhere on the internet. Dunno why, probably custom made here or something.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 10:17:20 AM

Forget about using your PC for 5 years... it will decent for about 3 years MAX
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 10:36:02 AM

Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling are my only choices EVER for a psu

get atleast an 212 evo for the processor if not something like a Noctua nhd14 for Phantek PH-TC14PE.

You say you dont plan to overclock but its so easy these days you could so a mild overclock to 4 or 4.2 without changing much and you will have about the same overclock power as a 4.5-4.5 ish sandy bridge.

Asus, MSI, and Sapphire all make good ati cards. Personally I like MSI with Asus at a close 2nd. Also go with the 7870 rather then the 7850. they have a Ghz edition that is really nice.

I dont know if you would consider Nvidia, however the new 660ti is out and I just love Cuda for programs that use it.

for the case I would say get
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Computer-RC-9...
or
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Carrying-S...

both will have MUCH more airflow then the Gigabyte Setto II 142
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 11:33:52 AM

kcsmacker said:

I dont know if you would consider Nvidia, however the new 660ti is out and I just love Cuda for programs that use it.


You do know that the GTX6xx cards SUCK for GPGPU, right?
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 1:10:41 PM

idroid said:
Forget about using your PC for 5 years... it will decent for about 3 years MAX

I'll take my chances. XD But I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

kcsmacker said:
Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling are my only choices EVER for a psu

get atleast an 212 evo for the processor if not something like a Noctua nhd14 for Phantek PH-TC14PE.

You say you dont plan to overclock but its so easy these days you could so a mild overclock to 4 or 4.2 without changing much and you will have about the same overclock power as a 4.5-4.5 ish sandy bridge.

Asus, MSI, and Sapphire all make good ati cards. Personally I like MSI with Asus at a close 2nd. Also go with the 7870 rather then the 7850. they have a Ghz edition that is really nice.

I dont know if you would consider Nvidia, however the new 660ti is out and I just love Cuda for programs that use it.

for the case I would say get
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Computer-RC-9...
or
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Carrying-S...

both will have MUCH more airflow then the Gigabyte Setto II 142

It's hard to find Corsair, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling here, I'm afraid. I've seen Antec though.
We have Huntkey, Supersonic, and Silverstone though.

I've actually thought about it and yea, I think I might get the 'K' version and try overclocking.

Is it possible to Crossfire 7850 and 7870? 'cause my mind's actually set already with the 7850 for now but I'm open for Crossfire in the future. I've heard great stuff about GeForce but I'm trying to stay away from them since they use too much power.

Will consider the two cases, but I'm trying to find a cheap, efficient one. Yes, I know the two are already cheap but I'd like to go cheaper, if possible. :p 

I did another search for motherboards and now I think I'll put aside the ASUS P8Z77-M.
I'm now looking at either a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H or a ASRock Z77 Pro4.
The ASRock is relatively cheaper and actually has nice features, and the Gigabyte is....well, it's Gigabyte. :D 
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 2:49:19 PM

Gigabyte is nice for motherboards.
For crossfire compatibility there's a chart on Radeon website. But i think they're compatible.
PSU I'd recommend seasonic. From what I know, Corsair/Antec are also based on that.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 9:47:05 PM

I take it you suggest I grab the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H then?
Thank you for the website tip... I didn't know that. XD
I'll try to find a Seasonic, but it's probably gonna be hard. 600W should be enough right? And do those fancy '80 plus power supply' certificates matter alot?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 10:19:45 PM

I'll take my chances. XD But I appreciate the heads up. Thanks. said:
I'll take my chances. XD But I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.


you have been warned :lol: 


It's hard to find Corsair, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling here, I'm afraid. I've seen Antec though.
We have Huntkey, Supersonic, and Silverstone though. said:
It's hard to find Corsair, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling here, I'm afraid. I've seen Antec though.
We have Huntkey, Supersonic, and Silverstone though.

That guy is wrong, XFX, rosewill (HIVE AND CAPSTONE SERIES ONLY, Silverstone and EVGA are excellent PSU sellers (most of their PSUs are manufacutred by PCpowe&cooling or Seasonic)

I've actually thought about it and yea, I think I might get the 'K' version and try overclocking. said:
I've actually thought about it and yea, I think I might get the 'K' version and try overclocking.

Excellent idea!

Is it possible to Crossfire 7850 and 7870? 'cause my mind's actually set already with the 7850 for now but I'm open for Crossfire in the future. I've heard great stuff about GeForce but I'm trying to stay away from them since they use too much power. said:
Is it possible to Crossfire 7850 and 7870? 'cause my mind's actually set already with the 7850 for now but I'm open for Crossfire in the future. I've heard great stuff about GeForce but I'm trying to stay away from them since they use too much power.


Yes, its possible to use a 7850 and a 7870 although that doesn't make much sense :lol:  btw... GTX cards consume less power than radeon cards

Will consider the two cases, but I'm trying to find a cheap, efficient one. Yes, I know the two are already cheap but I'd like to go cheaper, if possible. :p 

I did another search for motherboards and now I think I'll put aside the ASUS P8Z77-M.
I'm now looking at either a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H or a ASRock Z77 Pro4.
The ASRock is relatively cheaper and actually has nice features, and the Gigabyte is....well, it's Gigabyte. :D said:
I did another search for motherboards and now I think I'll put aside the ASUS P8Z77-M.
I'm now looking at either a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H or a ASRock Z77 Pro4.
The ASRock is relatively cheaper and actually has nice features, and the Gigabyte is....well, it's Gigabyte. :D 


Just make sure you get a full sized ATX motherboard thats capable of handling SLI or crossfire (depending on the GPU you buy)
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 1:40:10 AM

idroid said:

Yes, its possible to use a 7850 and a 7870 although that doesn't make much sense :lol: 

Would you please elaborate on this? I'm actually new to Crossfire, haven't tried it before and I haven't really researched much on it. :/ 

idroid said:

btw... GTX cards consume less power than radeon cards

oh.. My bad then. I read this thread and used it as reference. I probably got it wrong.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2012 1:47:35 AM

Would you please elaborate on this? I'm actually new to Crossfire, haven't tried it before and I haven't really researched much on it. :/ [quotemsg said:


Crossfiring is putting two AMD cards together to theoricall obtein double performance (most of the times in only ~90%) but thats still pretty good.


said:
oh.. My bad then. I read this thread and used it as reference. I probably got it wrong.]Would you please elaborate on this? I'm actually new to Crossfire, haven't tried it before and I haven't really researched much on it. :/ 
said:


Crossfiring is putting two AMD cards together to theoricall obtein double performance (most of the times in only ~90%) but thats still pretty good.


said:
oh.. My bad then. I read this thread and used it as reference. I probably got it wrong.
said:
said:
said:


Saying that a radeon card uses more power than a geforce (or viceversa) is completly wrong, lets say you're considering buying a 7770 or a gtx660ti the gtx660ti will consume a lot more power
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 4:20:02 PM

I see. I was talking about cards that were on par though.

I've decided to change my chosen case in the first post to an Aerocool Strike-X One.
Is it a nice case and would it be good for my parts?

I've also chosen either the AsRock z77 Pro4 or Extreme4, depending on which is available on our local store.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 12:09:18 AM

excella1221 said:
I see. I was talking about cards that were on par though.

I've decided to change my chosen case in the first post to an Aerocool Strike-X One.
Is it a nice case and would it be good for my parts?

I've also chosen either the AsRock z77 Pro4 or Extreme4, depending on which is available on our local store.


That case looks awesome....get the Extreme4 tough...
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 6:03:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far, especiall to idroid who checks up here regularly :) . I think I'm just about done.

This is what I got so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fM4e

Casing: Aerocool Strike-X One Advance
Power Supply: Aerocool Strike-X 600W
(pcpartpicker doesn't list any Aerocool items, dunno why)

I'd just like one final assurance from everyone here. Does everything add up nicely so far? Does the power supply have enough amps in the 12v to support them? Will everything be okay with the case? and whatever more things you can point out :p 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 10:23:31 AM

excella1221 said:
Thanks for all the replies so far, especiall to idroid who checks up here regularly :) . I think I'm just about done.

This is what I got so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fM4e

Casing: Aerocool Strike-X One Advance
Power Supply: Aerocool Strike-X 600W
(pcpartpicker doesn't list any Aerocool items, dunno why)

I'd just like one final assurance from everyone here. Does everything add up nicely so far? Does the power supply have enough amps in the 12v to support them? Will everything be okay with the case? and whatever more things you can point out :p 


Everything seems great but i wouldn't buy an Aerocool PSU, i've never tried them and unless they're manufactured by seasonic, PCPower&cooling or flowerpsu (I think that's the name :lol) i wouldn't.... although it seems it has really good quality (based on the inside of the PSU) and Aerocool is a reliable company.. go here to find out:

* http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...

* http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 10:24:06 AM

btw.... a little warning, if this PC is for gaming drop the i7 for a i5 and get a 7950/GTX660ti.
m
0
l
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 10:44:07 AM

idroid said:

btw... GTX cards consume less power than radeon cards

Quote:
Saying that a radeon card uses more power than a geforce (or viceversa) is completly wrong


Seems a bit hypocritical don't you think?

Power consumption is unique to each card, and can vary wildly depending on the age of architecture and how much the card performs. For instance, the GTX5XX (Fermi) series couldn't touch the newer HD7XXX (GCN) series for power consumption. But the new GTX6XX (Kepler) cards are much more efficient than their predecessor Fermi, and can compete with Graphics Core Next cards. I'm sure with the next gen of AMD cards we will see another power consumption drop, then Nvidia will respond in time with their newer cards.
So look up power consumption on a card-by-card basis. General statements like that are untrue.

Also, you can crossfire a HD7850 and 7870, but its generally better to crossfire/SLI with identical cards.
http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il...

Silverstone are a good PSU manufacturer, especially if its one from their Strider range. I have been very happy with mine so far.
m
0
l
August 28, 2012 11:02:00 AM

Decided to get a Caviar Blue instead.

@idroid - Thanks for the assurance!

@manofchalk - Thanks for clearing up about that Crossfire thing. I guess it would be more efficient to just buy another 7850 in the future instead of a 7870 then?

I just found out AMD had a price cut on 7850, 7870 and 7950. Unfortunately, I asked my local store and they said they won't be lowering their price. :(  I was gonna buy the 7870 instead if they did. -.-
m
0
l
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2012 11:11:45 AM

Most likely. Usually when you pair hardware together to work in tandem (RAID arrays, different RAM kits, and maybe dual socket boards) it will throttle the faster hardware down to the slower's performance for compatibility purposes. So its possible to Crossfire a HD7850 with a 7870 because its the same GPU, but you will only see the performance equivalent Dual HD7850's.

I feel for you, over here in Australia everything is ridiculously expensive, and the AMD price drop hasnt even registered on the local market.
m
0
l
August 28, 2012 2:14:23 PM

More so here in SEA, the $250 7870 in the US is $357(cheapest) here.

A few more questions:
- Would one of a Hyper 212 Evo, Noctua NH-D14, or a Phanteks still have room in my case after everything's set? I heard they usually conflict with the physical size of your RAM.

- I just got this random idea: My air conditioner is placed really low on the wall, almost at the same elevation as a bed. I can position my PC really near it; would it be a good idea to leave the case open and use the AC as some sort of cooler? Or is there any better way to do this?

- Would my video card (ASUS Radeon HD 7850) fit in the case as well?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2012 2:32:14 PM

As for the case conflicting with the heatsink, it looks unlikely. It can conflict with RAM however, you can get around this by using low profile RAM. G.Skill Ares and Corsair Low Profile are good low profile brands to get. Or just using the slots furthest away from the heatsink, but that is only a solution until you have to get 16GB.

Maybe set it up so that cool air is going toward the front intake. Taking the side panel off will ruin whatever airflow you have through the case. Also there's an issue with below ambient cooling in the form of condensation. If you turn the PC off and the cooler cools the PC below a certain temp (depends on humidity and such), condensation can form. When you turn the machine on, that warms up and turns into water proper, not a good thing for computers.

Check the length of the card and what the case claims to support, but it should work.
Share
August 29, 2012 9:25:12 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped me!
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 9:25:26 AM

Best answer selected by excella1221.
m
0
l
!