Can a fast CPU compensate for a weaker graphics card?

G

I'm not an expert but I'm trying to learn and I feel this could be a question that comes up in someone's mind when they are new to buying parts for a computer and knowing the answer could help them get the right setup for a good price. Yeah so basically what I mean is if someone were to buy a high-end cpu and a low-end graphics card and then run a certain game, would the average FPS be higher or lower then if the same person were to buy a high-end graphics card and a low-end cpu?

Spicy_benie

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Lower, Most games these days rely heavly on the graphics card, thats why you can't buy the i5 3570k, best gpu for gaming and use the intagrated graphics for gaming, it just doesn't work that well :p

Cheers

giemer

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Slightly longer answer: It does depend on the game. And the specifics of what you mean by high/low end. The gap heavily favors the gfx card though.

These days, even the cheap CPUs are good enough that you won't have any issues running a majority of games unless you are pairing them with top end gfx cards, and want all sorts of eye candy. CPU bottle necked games, not with standing.