Sign in with
Your question

Computer Shut down, smoking, won't start

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2013 7:24:48 AM

I posted this in the CPU sub category, but the first response mentioned it sounds like a PSU issue, so I'm reposting it here -

I've had this home build for probably 2-3 years now. I was playing Black Ops 2 and it randomly shut off mid game, I looked over and smoke was coming out of the case, after smelling around, I believe the smoke came from the CPU.

Specs:
I5 750 OCed to 3700 but using a tuniq 120 tower extreme fan to cool
p55a ud3 mobo
750 corsair thx psu
Radeon 5850 gpu

My CPU has been OCed for ages and I've been playing Black Ops 2 plenty, why in the world would my computer fry now? And is there anything I can do or am I just screwed?

If this were a PSU issue as mentioned on the previous thread, why would it smell as though the smoke was coming from the CPU/upper MOBO area of the computer?
January 7, 2013 7:36:49 AM

Hello,

I just researched online that it could be the capacitors that have died on the motherboard. Is there any charred parts by the capacitors?

Thanks,
keemann
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 141 à CPUs
January 7, 2013 11:54:15 PM

A fellow techie often used to say electronics ran on smoke and if you let the smoke out... LOL
To me they are like a battery. They have only so much life in them and then they die. Something like a transistor deteriorates every time you use it; call it wear and tear; and eventually they die. Overclocking hits the components even harder.

Anyways, the psu you can somewhat test with just a voltmeter. I'd be looking at the motherbd with a magnifying glass. Burnt electronics is usually easy to spot. Look in the voltage regulation area.
m
l
!