Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU heating up Too HoT!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 7:40:31 PM

Hello mates, :bounce: 

I have a XFX GeForece GT-240 1GB gfx card, I purchased it like two yrs ago, now the problem is when I play games, the temperature gets upto 100C or more, this makes the games lag and stutter... also MY CPU temperature gets upto 70C+

I have a core i7 860 on a DH55TC motherboard with stock cooler and heatsink, and no extra fan to my case.

Things were not the same when my PC was new. I tried cleaning the heatsink of GPU and applying new thermal paste with no luck... can you guys help me? :cry: 

Is this a CPU problem or of my GPU?

More about : gpu heating hot

a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 7:45:52 PM

it's your GPU, maybe your fan's getting old? your CPU temp is normal for a case with bad air-flow
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 7:46:31 PM

XFX should have life-time warranty... have you thought about calling them?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 172 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 8:10:16 PM

Clean the card one more time and make sure that there is absolutely no dust left in the cooler and fan.
Score
July 4, 2012 8:24:58 PM

Any reason why you can't add in a cheap intake and outake fan to bring things down a bit?
Score
July 5, 2012 7:51:46 AM

womble said:
Any reason why you can't add in a cheap intake and outake fan to bring things down a bit?

Sure I can add... is that supposed to solve my problem completely? what else I can do to keep the GPU temp down?
Score
July 5, 2012 7:53:09 AM

nforce4max said:
Clean the card one more time and make sure that there is absolutely no dust left in the cooler and fan.

I again removed the fan last night and made sure that there is no dust in the fan and heatsink either... still no luck :bounce: 
Score
a c 172 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 3:56:36 PM

abcd123 said:
I again removed the fan last night and made sure that there is no dust in the fan and heatsink either... still no luck :bounce: 

Time to get a better cooler, I know that a zalman vf900 will work on that card with good results but sadly they are not cheap. Getting a new cooler is a good investment because you can keep using them for years on different cards.
Score
July 5, 2012 6:20:18 PM

I just found out that the fan on my graphics card is very jammed, not rotating freely, thats the cause of overheating... what to do now?
Score

Best solution

a c 91 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:47:42 PM

abcd123 said:
I just found out that the fan on my graphics card is very jammed, not rotating freely, thats the cause of overheating... what to do now?

that is most definitely the cause of overheating. you need to get a new fan to replace it. I think it's likely your fan has just reached the end of its lifespan
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 8:01:48 PM

Would his warranty not cover it?
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 8:19:30 PM

paddys09 said:
Would his warranty not cover it?

with EVGA it really should... most likely they'll just send hom a similar performing card sitting in their warehouse. he might even get a small upgrade lol
Score
July 12, 2012 5:34:06 AM

Best answer selected by abcd123.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 12, 2012 9:00:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!