Sign in with
Your question

Cool and silent

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 7:47:17 PM

Fellow users, i really need Your advice!

I'm building new PC - it will be used for work (CAD) and gaming in the free time. Im going to buy i5-3450 but i have great dilemma when it comes to GPU.

I want to buy cool and silent.
Right now im using Asus HD6770 and i must say its way to hot and loud! It's hotter and louder even than my former GTX9800+ !
I'm looking for any tips, links, test, reviews (anything really) about silent graphic cards.

Please help me out :) 

More about : cool silent

a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 7:59:29 PM

the best silent cards out there currently are the sapphire7750 ultimate. I believe they're releasing a 7770 ultimate soon. these cards are fanless so completely silent. however, they're not very powerful (still faster than the 6770 you have though). if that fits your needs. then great.

otherwise, the more powerful cards can all get loud on load (not to mention spitting out a lot of heat). things like the msi 7970 lightning does a great job cooling itself and is quiet compared to its counter parts, but it still produces some noise... if you're ok with such things, please let us know your budget and we can make you some recommendations
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 8:16:34 PM

Hello,

I believe there is a company making a fanless GTX 680, however it looks like a real massive beast:

http://www.techpowerup.com/167975/Colorful-Unveils-Fanl...

And AFAIK it's only in the testing phase, IDK when it's actually supposed to be out, if it will come out.

You still might need good airflow with something like that, though.
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 9:06:52 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

I believe there is a company making a fanless GTX 680, however it looks like a real massive beast:

http://www.techpowerup.com/167975/Colorful-Unveils-Fanl...

And AFAIK it's only in the testing phase, IDK when it's actually supposed to be out, if it will come out.

You still might need good airflow with something like that, though.

not to mention a HUGE case :D 

I remember seeing that report, and kinda tilted my head and went W...T...F..... :ouch:  :ouch:  :o 

also, I'm not sure if I want my 680 to be made by "Colorful"
July 4, 2012 9:08:11 PM

vmem --=> Fan-less products surely are great, but imho thats not the best way. I believe more in equipment with fan, and low noise emission.

My budged is kind hard to set, since i will be buying in eastern-Europe so the prices can be very different here. But looking at sapphire 7750 ultimate I might say thats something at my price range (+ a little bit if needed). I don't need a top GPU, just something decent for next ~three years (9800GTX+ did that for me from 2008 to 2011).

I really appreciate Your efforts! :) 
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 9:10:25 PM

ciul90 said:
vmem --=> Fan-less products surely are great, but imho thats not the best way. I believe more in equipment with fan, and low noise emission.

My budged is kind hard to set, since i will be buying in eastern-Europe so the prices can be very different here. But looking at sapphire 7750 ultimate I might say thats something at my price range (+ a little bit if needed). I don't need a top GPU, just something decent for next ~three years (9800GTX+ did that for me from 2008 to 2011).

I really appreciate Your efforts! :) 

ahh, I see. in that case something like a 7770 with MSI twin-frozer or sapphire dual-x would fit your needs. 2 large fans means fairly quiet operation and cool temps :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 9:20:13 PM

In that case, vmem has a good reccomendation :) 
July 4, 2012 9:52:50 PM

vmem said:
ahh, I see. in that case something like a 7770 with MSI twin-frozer or sapphire dual-x would fit your needs. 2 large fans means fairly quiet operation and cool temps :) 

It seems im totally out of luck! Simply i cant find in any store/auction that would offer a 7770 with dual-x/vapor-x, and two that might be the MSI twin-frozer but i'm not sure, since the name is a bit strange...
1 - http://www.morele.net/karta-graficzna-msi-r7770-2pmd1gd...
2 - http://www.agito.pl/karta-graficzna-msi-radeon-hd-7770-...

Apart from that, I came across a company unknown to me: XFX HD 7770 Dual Heatpipe. To be more specific this one http://www.agito.pl/karta-graficzna-xfx-radeon-hd-7770-...
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 9:56:41 PM

my bad... MSI actually didn't make a twinfrozer edition (weird). anyway, the cards you found is exactly the one I was thinking about. great find!

as for the XFX card, XFX is an exclusive AMD company now. they're pretty good, but their coolers are generally a bit louder and cools worse than MSI. I would buy the MSI card you found
July 5, 2012 10:16:32 AM

Since You guys seem to be pretty up-to-date, i got one additional question.

If i buy motherboard MSI Z77A-G43, can i switch (while working) from GPU on PCIe to the one build in the CPU? (The mobo itself has D-Sub and DVI-D)

It would perfectly fit into my needs, considering i often work late at night, and no noise from GPU is better then a bit of noise ;) 
I was unable to find such info on MSI webpage :( 
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 12:46:35 PM

If you turn on integrated graphics on the motherboard, you should be able to switch. Might have issues without a reboot though.

Anyway, these cards should be very quiet unless they are burning up
!