Will a USB keyboard and mouse work with a new build?

oliverpotts12

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hi guys, This may seem stupid and probably has a simple answer but here goes, Im getting a custom built PC in a few days with windows installed on it, but im using a USB keyboard and mouse. Will I actually be able to get onto my computer desktop with a USB keyboard and mouse because normally USB components dont get detected until the desktop has loaded and then the software gets installed? :pt1cable: Have I got the complete wrong idea here or will my USB components work fine? Thanks for the help in advance. :D

It will work fine. Some new motherboards are dropping support for the old PS/2 plugs or only giving you one for a keyboard OR a mouse, and assuming most of what you'll be plugging in is probably USB.

I did find it annoying on one of my machines that it took a few seconds for it to re-detect the USB keyboard after waking up from sleep, so I did switch back to an old PS/2 model. But that's really nothing close to the kind of problem you're talking about, and I don't think you need to worry about it.