Sign in with
Your question

EVGA GTX 560 non TI SLI stops working randomly...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 8:21:26 PM

Sorry if I post this in wrong section, Im new to this website.

Ok for about 3 weeks or so my SLI has been acting up. I will go into a game and only one card will be taking load it will not split, and frame rate is really choppy. It seems to usually happen if I watch youtube/twitch.tv stream for a hour or so prior to playing a game, but idk if that is the cause. If I restart my pc It will fix the issue for a little while. Both cards run fine with no issues if I run them single from what I have seen, but the problem happens randomly so idk if it happend during the time I tested the cards alone. I have no clue as to why this is happening, maybe a bad SLI bridge? Im not to tech savy when It comes to pc parts etc. I called EVGA and they said I could RMA the card with the problem but idk what card it is, seeing they both run fine if not in SLI from what I have seen. Should I just RMA one card and if its not the bad one RMA the other? I have tried reinstalling drives like 20+ times and switching PCI slots for the cards. Also I have had SLI for about 3 months.

If anyone has any advice I would really apreciate it, thanks!
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 8:26:16 PM

So switching the cards about results in whatever card is in slot #2 not working, correct?

Edit: I've had a couple of beers so bear with me. :ange: 
m
l
July 4, 2012 8:32:57 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So switching the cards about results in whatever card is in slot #2 not working, correct?

It shows on my deskstop GPU addon that card 0 is getting all the load when it happens and on EVGA Precision its shows that card 0 is the bottom card.
m
l
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 8:42:57 PM

Ahh, this I might have seen! Perhaps.

MSI Afterburner does similar when used with a program like F@H V.7 in that the primary card reads as being in the wrong slot, the best way to test would be to turn the SLi indicators on and run a few apps or benchmarks that you know for sure use SLi and see whether the indicators appear and disappear.
m
l
July 4, 2012 8:57:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Ahh, this I might have seen! Perhaps.

MSI Afterburner does similar when used with a program like F@H V.7 in that the primary card reads as being in the wrong slot, the best way to test would be to turn the SLi indicators on and run a few apps or benchmarks that you know for sure use SLi and see whether the indicators appear and disappear.

Ok I tried the SLI Visual Indicator on WoW, Counter Strike: Source and DCUO. It says SLI is working fine via the indicator, it has the green bar etc but the frame rate is still choppy.
m
l
July 4, 2012 9:05:06 PM

i would try this to start homing down to the problem, i had a similar problem with two HD5770. that they seemed to not crossfire and made some games choppy when they clearly shoudnt

1 first uninstall all drivers etc and take one card out, after installing "GPU A" on "PCIEX 1" re-install everything as if you had one card afterwards ( GPU A in PCIEX 2 and GPU B in PCIEX1 and 2 )just reinstall them

2 run tests on one card in 3dmark or so benchmark to see if its giving the regular number your number in 3Dmark11 example should be near 4000(if not sure check reviews and you should be in a 20% margin because reviews always use Ultra overclocked High end CPUS that reflect a "unbottlenecked" GPU)) and run this tests on both cards and both PCI express lanes with each GPU

if its a bad videocard, it will do a bad benchmark on both PCIEX lanes

if its a bad PCIEX lane it will do bad with both GPUS

and if its the SLI bridge, nothing should go wrong, also in this case try reinstalling windows from 0 just so you be sure its not something you messed up

:D  hope this works, with me its was a BAD PCIEX (PCIEX 1) lane that made me Replace the Motherboard
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 9:34:58 PM

What driver version are you using?
m
l
!