New modem and router

atypicallemon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I need a new modem seeing as my old one has died and I am stuck with this POS that Charter has given me for now that I am forced to lease temporarily. I was just wondering what would be the best setup. I currently have a tv wirelessly connected, 2 laptops, 2 desktops, xbox 360, and ps3 connected. I need something that will be great for running multiple connections at the same time and not create lag seeing as I am gaming on any one of those. I was also wondering if the all in one like the motorola sbg6850 is worth it or getting a seperate modem and router. I have to have a cable modem and just have not really researched this much and don't have a lot of time about 3 weeks and it would have to be here in that time so I need some kind of an answer in about 2 weeks until I need to get a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I personally like Linksys for routers, As far as a cable modem the Motorola's above would do just fine.

I just don't see how you could run all those wireless devices and NOT have lag. Each one is using the same signal from the router so each one is taking it's own little slice of the pie so to speak. So if you have 2-3 of them all online at the same time then you better have one heck of a signal. I also have a few laptop's, a PS3, and an Xbox running on my wireless. But i never tried gaming online while using one of the other one's at the same time.

Guess you could use the PS3 speed test under the network setting to see just how bad it is. Start a download or something using bandwidth on a few of the others using wireless, then fire up the PS3 and test it to see what speed it says you are getting. I know they are not real accurate but if you ran it with and without any other things using the wireless you could at least get a ballpark idea of how much signal you will lose.