Sign in with
Your question

560 Ti OC problems with Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 9:19:13 PM

Hey guys, I recently built a new computer and I'm having problems with the two games I currently play.

Here's my old computer's specs:

i3-2100
8gb ddr3
WD 1TB Caviar Black
CX430 PSU
H61 mobo
Windows 7 64-bit

And these are the new ones:
i5-2500k
MSI 560 Ti OC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
8gb ddr3 (reusing the old ram)
120gb agility 3 ssd
CX600 PSU
P77 mobo
Windows 7 64-bit

I am running off 1920x1080 resolution. So let me say first that my old computer had no problems running SC2 and D3 whatsoever on medium settings (I prefer this over the higher settings). I was excited to finally game on my new computer over the past weekend, but immediately after starting a game of SC2, the game was starting to freeze in and out, and eventually I was kicked out to my desktop where I had to stop running the game via task manager. I did a little bit of research, tried uninstalling/reinstalling (which was a huge PITA btw) the driver (301.42), and tried using the beta driver (304.48) but those didn't help. After testing out a few more games of SC2, which all had the problem described above within the first seconds of each game, I found that the game gave me an error message saying I was running low on "paged pool memory." I again did research on this and applied the recommended paged pool memory settings, but it did not solve the problem. So basically, SC2 is unplayable on my new computer. As for D3, the problems are not nearly as bad, but still unacceptable. Every hour or so of gameplay, my game would freeze for about 2 seconds, which was enough to get me killed a few times.

So to narrow down the cause of these problems, I swapped my 4850 with the 560 Ti, and there have been no problems running these games. So I think it's safe to say that there is something wrong with the 560 Ti. But I don't know how to further diagnose the problem.. so I need help from you guys. I had a friend tell me that he had similar problems to mine when he OCed his GPU, and everything was fixed when he returned it back to normal. Do you guys think it would help if I did the same? I believe my GPU came factory OCed, and I have no idea how to return it to base speeds. If there are any other suggestions too, that would be great.

If I'm missing any relevant information, please let me know. Thank you for reading.
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 9:36:41 PM

Hi. I don't think there's anything wrong with your 560ti. rather, your PSU has too little power. a 430w is way too low for a 560ti, especially since the cx series isn't the most efficient at power conversion. a 560ti is generally recommended to run on a 500W PSU minimum (especially for a pre-overclocked one). Meanwhile, a 4850 needs significantly less power to run, which is why it runs smoothly on your machine.

so your options are:
return the 560ti and get something like a 7770 which uses less power

or upgrade your PSU to a 500 or 550W

or underclock and undervolt your 560ti until it runs smoothly (not really recommended)
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:29:25 PM

Thank you for the reply. The CX430 is on my old computer. My new computer is running on the CX600.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2012 10:39:08 PM

ahh... in that case. I really don't know... maybe someone else can help you more... I have a feeling it's drivers, but we don't like reinstalling too often ;) 
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:20:10 PM

Can you test the 560 in another machine to double check that it is the problem?

Otherwise RMA it and let newegg test it. The PSU should be ample to cover the 560.
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:59:07 PM

[EDIT]Ok, I just read a post from Blizzard that D3 (and probably SC2) has problems with GPUs that came factory OCed and that they suggest returning them to stock speeds. Does anyone have any guides on how to do this? I have never done OCing before... I'll try this before I reinstall windows.

EDIT 2: So I installed MSI Afterburner and set the core clock and memory clock to stock speeds. I just played a game of SC2 without problems. I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I hope this lasts! Thanks everyone!!!

EDIT 3: Spoke too soon :(  Problems came back. Will continue doing more research on this topic.

I can't test on another machine...

At this point, I'm going to reinstall windows to make sure I didn't mess anything up originally.

I have some questions regarding drivers for my motherboard. So the motherboard came with a cd for the drivers, and the first time I installed windows, I chose the "install all" option for my mobo drivers. This included all the Utilities. Do I really need to install these Utilities? There's stuff like ASRock Extreme Tuning, ASRock XFast USB, Intel Rapid Start, etc... In general, do you guys install all of these utilities normally, or just the ones you think are necessary for your personal use? Regarding the Intel Rapid Start Utility... first, I don't even know what that does, but there's a warning on the ASRock website that says "Please MUST install Intel Rapid Start Utility and create the hidden partition first, then install the Intel Rapid Start driver." This is something I did not originally do, and maybe it has something to do with my problem??? I don't know.. Here is a link to the driver page: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/?cat=Downlo...

The following is a list of drivers I am planning to install. They are the ones that are included on the disc, but I will be using the latest drivers on the website. If you guys can tell me if there is any driver I should not install, or if there are any I should be installing that is not included on the following list, please let me know.

- INF Driver
- VGA driver
- Realtek HD Audio
- Realtek Lan
- Intel Rapid Storage
- Intel Management Engine
- Intel USB 3.0
- ASMedia SATA3
- Intel Smart Connect
- Lucid Virtu
- ASRock APPcharger
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:53:03 AM

I'm a little confused. The above is what I set my clock speeds at according to this page: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120503194...

Then I realized on the nvidia page, http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt... :

Graphics Clock (MHz) 822
Processor Clock (MHz) 1645
Memory Clock (MHz) 4008 Gbps

My question is for MSI Afterburner, what value should I set the Memory Clock to? The max I can set it is 2605 MHz. The default settings were 2004 MHz (which probably isn't coincidentally half of 4008?)
m
l
!