Need help with new build ($1100 budget)

codycrazybull

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Next week

Budget Range: Around $1100 all together (including monitor and OS)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Editing Photos, videos, internet usage, Office

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com, Amazon.com, bhphotovideo.com

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (but probably not)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've been using this HP Pavilion DV6000 since 2007. It can run Photoshop and Vegas, but not very well. Lately, it has been freezing (for a minute) or just taking a very long time to load. I will also be studying graphic design next year, so I need something that can work at a fast pace. Not planning on a lot of gaming, but will probably slowly get into gaming as time passes. Nothing huge or intensive though.

As I stated, I have about $1100 for the entire build/monitor/OS. I don't know anything about building a computer, but I do have friends that can help as well as youtube.

Any and all help is welcome. Thank you all

Solution
here you go. i left you the option to go crossfire if you decide to do so

This isn't a gaming system so I don't think that's going to matter.

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler...

g-unit1111

Titan
here you go. i left you the option to go crossfire if you decide to do so

This isn't a gaming system so I don't think that's going to matter.

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 430W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($70.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7261S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $939.61
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-23 13:59 EDT-0400)

Solution

codycrazybull

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you both. I do have one question about OS. If I were to buy the OEM OS that you both suggested, would I have to buy a new copy if I upgraded a component, or is it just changing/upgrading the motherboard?

g-unit1111

Titan

On a Photoshop build? I don't think that's going to matter that much.

Thank you both. I do have one question about OS. If I were to buy the OEM OS that you both suggested, would I have to buy a new copy if I upgraded a component, or is it just changing/upgrading the motherboard?

The OEM license is good for one system only. But apparently with Windows 8 they're expanding that agreement to include system builders.

codycrazybull

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Would you recommend integrated graphics for video editing as well, or a dedicated card? Currently, I shoot at 720p on my Nikon D7000, but that's because my laptop cannot handle 1080p. Would an integrated be able to handle 720p or 1080p?

the editing should be done on the CPU and not the gpu. if you are rendering, it also should be done on the CPU although you can get a dedicated gpu to render that for you. cards such as gtx600 series have cuda to help you do that. the cpu should be more than capable though.

it will handle 1080p rendering no problem

g-unit1111

Titan

I've used drives from all the major manufacturers. I've found Samsung and Western Digital to be the most reliable (even though Samsung sold their HD division to Seagate last year :lol: ). I've never had any problems with Seagate although I'm aware they exist, and I've had nothing but problems with Hitachi hard drives.

codycrazybull

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
the i5 3570k cant overclock on the h77 board. either you get a unlocked chip and a z77 board or you dont overclock and get a locked chip and a h77 board like stated in my build. the fact that you are doing video work should also make you get a i7 3770 over the i5 since you could actually use the extra threads

the video card isnt that powerful for gaming. if you are not gaming at all, you dont need one

the case is your call. i like the 302 for its build quality

codycrazybull

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Keep in mind though that I won't be doing intensive video editing. All the editing I've done in Vegas has been pretty basic and nothing with a ton of layers, so I don't know if I can justify the i7 over the i5. As for overclocking, I don't really know if I'd ever really need to. The only gaming I think I'd be doing is Minecraft and Portal, just the first two that come to my mind. Not much of a gamer myself. And as for the case, I don't like that the 302 only has USB 3.0 in the front and two case fans.