Sign in with
Your question

I want new graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 9:19:16 PM

hi,
i am designer and and i work mostly Autodesk Maya Adobe suite 5.5. i want new workstation graphic card and at present i have NVIDIA GEforsce 9600 GT,
Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU X950 3.00GHZ CPU ,
Intle DP45SG motherboard with 8GB 1333 MHz RAM. My budget is near about 300$.
i have few questions
1st did i buy card who support both Gaming and 3D work ?
2nd Nvidia quadro 600 or ATI fire-pro 4800 & 4900 (did they fast up rendering time)?
and i saw some reviews on web about AIT that it have a compatibility issue with 3D work with MAYA. what is your opinion about that?
3rd did GPU help full for fast render or just only for display, fps, or color quality and rendering depend of CPU ?

More about : graphic card

a b Î Nvidia
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 9:30:51 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's
a few things:
1). autodesk maya does most of it's rendering using your CPU, the GPU will not be utilized at all.
2). Adobe CS5.5 has much better support for CUDA (Nvidia), than OpenCl (AMD).
3). are you going to game on that machine as well? because the workstation graphics cards (quadro or firepro) are HORRIBLE for gaming and you'd be lucky to run games at the lowest settings...
m
l
July 5, 2012 9:27:25 PM

vmem said:
Hi and welcome to Tom's
a few things:
1). autodesk maya does most of it's rendering using your CPU, the GPU will not be utilized at all.
2). Adobe CS5.5 has much better support for CUDA (Nvidia), than OpenCl (AMD).
3). are you going to game on that machine as well? because the workstation graphics cards (quadro or firepro) are HORRIBLE for gaming and you'd be lucky to run games at the lowest settings...

thanks
i play few games but first this is that my budget is near about 350$ and that price there is not good Mid Rang workstation GPU of Nvida but few gaming cards are available with good configuration .
did you know little about ATI Firepro working with 3d work?
can u send me a link about CUDA so i can know more abut it.

ONE BIG QUESTION if Nvidia is so much popular so why mostly ATI GPU are good in banchmark (as online reviews)
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 9:39:24 PM

ok, I'll answer your "big question" first. Nvidia is much more popular because of two things:
1). they advertise a lot more and sponsor a lot more games. so if most of your favorite games start up with a big Nvidia logo and "the way it's ment to be played" sign, you become subconsciously biased toward Nvidia. AMD is just now starting to sponsor more major game titles and putting their logo out there.
2). Nvidia drivers are largely more stable and less error prone than AMD drivers. so while online tech reviewers are pros who can get an AMD card all set up correctly, many home users are not. after some tweaking many people get frustrated, and if it's their first experience with AMD, they'll likely take a "solumn vow" to never use AMD again :p . Though I must say, AMD drivers have come a LONG WAY over the last 2 years or so, and are just about on par with Nvidia drivers now :)  I know from personal experience.
----------
With that aside. both CUDA and OpenCL are parallel open computing plateforms developed by Nvidia and AMD (respectively). you can learn about CUDA here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

OpenCL is functionally the AMD equivalent. though it's a bit newer, and currently less supported but software developers. of course, you can expect support to expand rapidly in the future.

given your budget, if you can find an Nvidia 580 that cheap, or an AMD HD 7950, I believe they'll suite your professional needs and allow you to game a little on the side.
m
l
!