I5 3570k + Hyper 212 Evo stock clock temps question???

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Hey guys,

Just have a quick question about my new build. It's a 3570k at stock at the moment with a Hyper 212 evo attached. Before I did any overclocking I wanted to do a stress test (Prime95) to see what temps I got. I monitored the temps using the ASUS AI Suite II as recommended in my boards manual.
Well under full load ASUS Suite was saying CPU temp 40-42 degrees C. Brilliant I thought........ UNTIL, I looked at CoreTemp which I also had running, that was saying CPU temp was 62-64 degrees C :ouch: A 20+ degree difference, WTF!! Which one do I go by or are they both shite, can someone maybe recommend something better to monitor temps coz I'm really worried now???

Thanks everyone

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Right ok. Only problem is I Googled the ASUS AI Suite II and quite a few people say it's not reliable. Is there a way the stress the CPU to 100% load while in BiOS so I can get the correct temps from there???

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Bios temps are usually unreliable. Run P95 with CoreTemp or RealTemp. These programs are very accurate and are used by most OC'ers. Plus, 40C on load with air is almost unheard of -- that's custom loop territory if you ask me. I have the same cooler and chip as you, my temps hover around low 60s at 100% load.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Well it's now OC'ed to 4.5Ghz and the BIOS temp under full load says 43-45c and Real Temp says 60-62c, so I'm gonna go with Real Temp because exactly what you said, I can't believe for a minute it would be below 50c on air running at 4.5!

I personal like HWMonitor it is made by the same people who make CPU-Z. The difference in temperatures that you are reporting is nothing out of the question after 100% CPU usage. Over normal usage you will never see the temperatures that you may get from Prime95 or IBT. Also try to add a second 120mm fan and see how your temperatures are with a push pull set up.

mr_tan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006

Wrong. Most bios CPU temps are Tcase or the temp just below the heat spreader and that is not as precise as the core temps which have DTS (digital thermal sensors). Most bios do not report the core temps even though they are capable of doing so if the manufacturer thought it was worthy (which is not since when accessing the bios you are never at load temps, so no point in reporting the core temps which are far from their critical thresholds).

But software can access the DTS in the processors to give much more accurate temp readings and individually of each core. The core temps are the basis of the CPUs protection circuitry (not the tcase temps which you will find in the bios) and will throttle or shut down your system when they reach their critical thresholds (TJMax).

Tcase is not the temp just below the heat spreader. It is in the center of the heat spreader. But the bios will give the "tcase" temp from a diode between and below the cores. You might have confused package with tcase, these are not the same. Bios temp should be package which is in fact a dts and is also not "just below the heat spreader." What is called cpu temperature is the calculated "tcase" you were referring too and would agree, this reading should be avoided. AI suite does use this "tcase" temp for the cpu temp which is why it is so inaccurate.

"Throttle" and "shutdown" are at different temps so are not both tjmax.