$2500 Work laptop

treynolds

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I am looking for a new work laptop that can be used for Adobe Photoshop CS6, InDesign and Illustrator for designing print materials and logos.

In terms of budget, something under $2000 would be preferred, but the most important consideration is being able to work with large files without having the laptop slow down at all.

Approximate Purchase Date:
Within one week

Budget Range:
<$2500 with OS

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Photoshop CS6, InDesign, Illustrator (I'm doing website design, print materials and logos, so I need something that can handle large, multi-layer files during rendering)

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Do you need to buy OS:
Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Ordering through Dell

Parts Preferences:
Intel, preferably.

Overclocking:
No.

SLI:
No.

Specs:
(Based off of the Dell Latitude E6520 model)

PROCESSOR: 3rd gen Intel Core i5-2540M Processor 2.6 GHz

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

MEMORY: 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM

HARD DRIVE: 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive

GRAPHICS CARD: nVidia NVS 4200M 512MB DDR3

OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD+/-RW

LCD DISPLAY: 15.6" HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit

WIRELESS CARDS: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 802.11n Half Mini Card

Total: Approximately $1800

Is the Nvidia 4200M needed to use Photoshop well?

Solution

Yeah that's always a problem. The bad thing is that laptop CPUs and GPUs are always nowhere near their desktop equivalents. And Dell usually waters them down with no room to upgrade later on. An i7 will definitely be a better option for CS5 than an i5 will.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's always a problem. The bad thing is that laptop CPUs and GPUs are always nowhere near their desktop equivalents. And Dell usually waters them down with no room to upgrade later on. An i7 will definitely be a better option for CS5 than an i5 will.

Solution