Do i really need 3930K for gaming?

Hi guys,

I planning to build new PC dedicated to gaming and I want it for at less 5 years to perform.

my question is do I really need 3930K for CPU to run GTX690?

if I decided to upgrade the graphics card after 2-4 years any bottle neck issues?

what do you suggest for future proof gaming CPU?
12 answers Last reply
More about 3930k gaming
  1. If its for gaming an ivybridge 3770k would be fine.
  2. jldevoy said:
    If its for gaming an ivybridge 3770k would be fine.

what do you think about 2011 socket?
  3. alz3abi said:
    Hi guys,

I planning to build new PC dedicated to gaming and I want it for at less 5 years to perform.

my question is do I really need 3930K for CPU to run GTX690?

if I decided to upgrade the graphics card after 2-4 years any bottle neck issues?

what do you suggest for future proof gaming CPU?

There's plenty of life in the 3930k. It will live for 5 years easily
  4. No, you don't need 3930K for gaming.
  5. FinneousPJ said:
    No, you don't need 3930K for gaming.

I meant 3820
  6. No, you don't need that either.
  7. Everybody in here is quite wrong. i7 isn't needed AT ALL when you're gaming. The best you can get for your Money is i5-3570k.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-core-i5-3570k-cpu-review/6

Look how it faires against these extreme CPUs and i7 CPUs. Why pay like 2 or 3 times the Price for something that might give you 1 or 2 FPS in difference? I wouldn't I can tell you, and if you're smart you shouldn't either.

And stop asking about future proofness.

Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

Now you'll never ask about the term "future proofness" Again.
  8. lostgamer_03 said:
    Everybody in here is quite wrong. i7 isn't needed AT ALL when you're gaming. The best you can get for your Money is i5-3570k.

^ This.
  9. Well, no, not everybody ;)
  10. i5-3570K.
  11. i5-3570k is the best bang for the buck and will have plenty of life in it. I've never had a good CPU not give me 4-5 solid years for gaming, and an i7 isn't going to serve you any better.
  12. i'd also only buy a 680 and then a 880 when they come out, it'll cost you the same as a 690, but last longer. Unless you are running very high resolutions.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming