Font Issues

Recently I've noticed that the font size within WinXP has gotten
smaller. For instance, when I click on the Start button, then cursor
to All Programs, the list of programs [font] is very small...or at
least smaller than I remember it being last week. It looks to be at
about a 9. But I could swear it was larger (not much) last week. I've
scanned for viruses, adware, spyware, anything not normal....nothing.
I've gone into Display and modified what I can in there, but nothing in
there touches this problem. The smaller font is even in the address bar
of IE6. At this point...it might have always been small there....I'm so
sick of messing with it, I can't tell an 8 from a 9! Gads.
Anyway...looking for some suggestions on how to adjust the font, mostly
in the programs list, and the menu that shows when I hover over the
control panel option (under Start), and the control panel menu, too.
It's like a fungus...it's spreading everywhere....! :eek:

--
SabySue

SabySue's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2678

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:01:10 -0500, SabySue wrote:

> Recently I've noticed that the font size within WinXP has gotten
> smaller. For instance, when I click on the Start button, then cursor
> to All Programs, the list of programs [font] is very small...or at
> least smaller than I remember it being last week. It looks to be at
> about a 9. But I could swear it was larger (not much) last week. I've
> scanned for viruses, adware, spyware, anything not normal....nothing.
> I've gone into Display and modified what I can in there, but nothing in
> there touches this problem. The smaller font is even in the address bar
> of IE6. At this point...it might have always been small there....I'm so
> sick of messing with it, I can't tell an 8 from a 9! Gads.
> Anyway...looking for some suggestions on how to adjust the font, mostly
> in the programs list, and the menu that shows when I hover over the
> control panel option (under Start), and the control panel menu, too.
> It's like a fungus...it's spreading everywhere....! :eek:

Were you using Clear Type last week? That setting will make fonts look a
little bit larger (and more bold). Display> Appearance> Effects> Font
Smoothing: select Clear Type.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I had it set to Clear Type. I remember
seeing that yesterday, but just checked again to be sure. It's the
weirdest thing. Honestly, I think it happened when I updated one of my
spyware or adware programs the other day. I may try a system restore to
see what that does. GRRR.... Thank you anyway.

--

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:38:11 -0500, SabySue wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I had it set to Clear Type. I remember
> seeing that yesterday, but just checked again to be sure. It's the
> weirdest thing. Honestly, I think it happened when I updated one of my
> spyware or adware programs the other day. I may try a system restore to
> see what that does. GRRR.... Thank you anyway.

You're welcome. If system restore doesn't help, below are some more things
to think about and check:

Did you happen to update your display driver? Screen fonts can change
slightly between one driver version and the next. If the last driver was
more to your liking, use the "Rollback Driver" button in the properties for
the display adapter (all of this is found in Device Manager).

If you use XP theme, did you change the color? Have noticed a slight
variance in font appearance between the different colors.

If using a standard theme, there are standard and large choices for some
schemes. "Large" referring to the font sizes. Also, within a scheme, one
can adjust font sizes for many Windows objects individually. Reapplying a
theme (switching to another and then switch back again) will reset the
default sizes.

Internet Explorer is woven through parts of the operating system. It has a
View> Text Size setting and those changes can reflect into other areas than
a window that is obviously a browser window.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Just got through with system restore...seems to be fine now. I think
the problem was from installing the upgrade to Lavasoft AdAware SE. If
I remember correctly, similar "problems" happened when I installed that
software. I am going to reinstall the upgrade now..and verify all the
settings are THE SAME as the previous version. AdAware is a bit too
complex for me, so I just use basic settings. But I think the default
settings in it mess my system up. Yep....sure enough ....I did a
system restore point BEFORE reinstalling AW, reinstalled latest
version...and sure enough...my fonts are teeny again. So...I guess
there is something in Adaware that is causing my grief. Guess I'll
just stick with the older version till they figure it out.
Hey, Thanks for your help, tho!! Much appreciated! :cool:

--

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:55:37 -0500, SabySue wrote:

> Just got through with system restore...seems to be fine now. I think
> the problem was from installing the upgrade to Lavasoft AdAware SE. If
> I remember correctly, similar "problems" happened when I installed that
> software. I am going to reinstall the upgrade now..and verify all the
> settings are THE SAME as the previous version. AdAware is a bit too
> complex for me, so I just use basic settings. But I think the default
> settings in it mess my system up. Yep....sure enough ....I did a
> system restore point BEFORE reinstalling AW, reinstalled latest
> version...and sure enough...my fonts are teeny again. So...I guess
> there is something in Adaware that is causing my grief. Guess I'll
> just stick with the older version till they figure it out.
> Hey, Thanks for your help, tho!! Much appreciated! :cool:

Very odd side effect. May want to drop an email to Lavasoft to let them
know about it.

Glad to hear that you have this sorted and thanks for posting back how you
did that.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User