Canon G5 mass storage driver? (Windows 2k)

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 3:18:36 AM

My previous longer post went astray I think... I'll keep this one short
:)

Anyone know if there's a mass storage USB driver for the Canon G5
camera, so that when connected to a machine running Windows 2000 it'll
appear as a drive from within Windows Explorer?

I just need to drag files off the camera onto an ancient laptop which
isn't really up to running any of the bloated bundled Canon software :-(

(I don't currently have a CF card reader - looks like I may have to get
one and do things that way though)

cheers

Jules

(drop nospam. in email address to reply personally)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 3:18:37 AM

Jules Richardson wrote:

> My previous longer post went astray I think... I'll keep this one short
> :)
>
> Anyone know if there's a mass storage USB driver for the Canon G5
> camera, so that when connected to a machine running Windows 2000 it'll
> appear as a drive from within Windows Explorer?
>
> I just need to drag files off the camera onto an ancient laptop which
> isn't really up to running any of the bloated bundled Canon software :-(
>
> (I don't currently have a CF card reader - looks like I may have to get
> one and do things that way though)

You'll have to get a card reader :-)

Canon doesn't support mass storage *at all* through the USB port.

I have no idea why...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 11:30:50 AM

Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>Anyone know if there's a mass storage USB driver for the Canon G5
>camera, so that when connected to a machine running Windows 2000 it'll
>appear as a drive from within Windows Explorer?

No.

>(I don't currently have a CF card reader - looks like I may have to get
>one and do things that way though)

Get a CF card to PC card adapter. It should be inexpensive, because
it's just a connector adapter without any electronics. And it should be
faster than most CF card readers, because it's plugging into what
amounts to a parallel bus for disks, not the wimpy serial USB 1.1 port
you're likely to have on an older laptop.

Dave
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 2:28:42 PM

Dave Martindale wrote:
> Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>

>>Anyone know if there's a mass storage USB driver for the Canon G5
>>camera, so that when connected to a machine running Windows 2000 it'll
>>appear as a drive from within Windows Explorer?
>

> No.
>

>>(I don't currently have a CF card reader - looks like I may have to get
>>one and do things that way though)
>

> Get a CF card to PC card adapter. It should be inexpensive, because
> it's just a connector adapter without any electronics. And it should be
> faster than most CF card readers, because it's plugging into what
> amounts to a parallel bus for disks, not the wimpy serial USB 1.1 port
> you're likely to have on an older laptop.
>
> Dave

Apparently I don't realize what I can't do!

I have used Zoombrowser which was bundled with my G5 to read the
contents of the CF card directly from the camera through the usb port.

I have also accessed the cf card on my new Rebel XT directly through the
port. The WIA driver is necessary, but the operating system recognizes
the camera directly.

Regards...

Tom
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 6:25:09 PM

tom spillman wrote:

> Apparently I don't realize what I can't do!
>
> I have used Zoombrowser which was bundled with my G5 to read the
> contents of the CF card directly from the camera through the usb port.
>
> I have also accessed the cf card on my new Rebel XT directly through the
> port. The WIA driver is necessary, but the operating system recognizes
> the camera directly.
>
> Regards...
>
> Tom

Further to my earlier post, on the Rebel XT there is a Communication
option on the LCD that is either for PC or for printing. You can
connect directly via USB port.

In the G% manual, there are instructions for downloading either direct
from the camera or CF cards using USB. See;

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psg5/psg5_2000-e.html

Regards...

Tom
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 9:16:32 PM

tom spillman <tspillman@austin.rr.com> writes:

>Apparently I don't realize what I can't do!

>I have used Zoombrowser which was bundled with my G5 to read the
>contents of the CF card directly from the camera through the usb port.

He said he didn't want to run any of the Canon software, so this won't
work for him.

>I have also accessed the cf card on my new Rebel XT directly through the
>port. The WIA driver is necessary, but the operating system recognizes
>the camera directly.

This is under Windows XP, right? He's running Windows 2000, which does
not support the PTP protocol that I think you're talking about.

Dave
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 10:11:26 PM

Dave Martindale wrote:

> This is under Windows XP, right? He's running Windows 2000, which does
> not support the PTP protocol that I think you're talking about.
>
> Dave

You're probably correct. The manual doesn't specify the operating
system, but it wouldn't surprise me. I made the leap from 98SE to XP
Pro, and forgot about the intervening steps.

I'm not even sure how to try it in compatibility mode since when I plug
the camera into a USB port, it is recognized and is available at that time.

Regards...

Tom
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 11:08:05 PM

tom spillman <tspillman@austin.rr.com> writes:

>In the G% manual, there are instructions for downloading either direct
>from the camera or CF cards using USB. See;

> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psg5/psg5_2000-e.html

Right. The direct-connect instructions require the Canon software with
Windows 2000, or Windows XP, so that's not appropriate for the original
poster. The other alternative shown is to use a CF/PC card adapter or
card reader, which is the solution for him.

Dave
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 10, 2005 11:37:42 PM

Dave Martindale wrote:
> tom spillman <tspillman@austin.rr.com> writes:
>

>>In the G% manual, there are instructions for downloading either direct
>
>>from the camera or CF cards using USB. See;
>

>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psg5/psg5_2000-e.html
>

> Right. The direct-connect instructions require the Canon software with
> Windows 2000, or Windows XP, so that's not appropriate for the original
> poster. The other alternative shown is to use a CF/PC card adapter or
> card reader, which is the solution for him.
>
> Dave

I must have read it wrong. I just looked at that page again and found:

"*1 IBM PC/AT compatible PC pre-installed Windows® 98 (including
Second Edition) / Me/ 2000/ XP system

I thought the original poster had win 2000?

Regards...

Tom
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 11, 2005 11:49:39 AM

tom spillman <tspillman@austin.rr.com> writes:

>I must have read it wrong. I just looked at that page again and found:

> "*1 IBM PC/AT compatible PC pre-installed Windows® 98 (including
>Second Edition) / Me/ 2000/ XP system

>I thought the original poster had win 2000?

That's right. Now continue reading down the page in the "Connecting the
Camera to a Computer with USB Cable" section. The next thing it says is
that if you're using Windows 98/ME/2000, "Please install the software
and driver bundled on the supplied Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk
onto your computer before downloading images from the camera to
computer."

But the original poster does *not* want to install the Canon software,
so this method will not work. It only if the computer is running
Windows XP or MacOS X that you can avoid the Canon software while using
a direct USB connection.

Dave
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 9:09:24 AM

In article <dg0nij$9i5$1@mughi.cs.ubc.ca>, davem@cs.ubc.ca says...
> But the original poster does *not* want to install the Canon software,
> so this method will not work. It only if the computer is running
> Windows XP or MacOS X that you can avoid the Canon software while using
> a direct USB connection.

FWIW, I don't mind installing a few hundred KB of driver that'd make the
camera appear as a mass-storage device, but Canon seem to want you to
install everything from the CD which was a bit of a joke :-(

I just picked up a card reader anyway, which has at least solved the
problem whilst I'm on the road with the laptop (and of course I don't
get any problems with a direct connection back home on the linux desktop
machine). I'm happy with the camera otherwise though, so I can live with
Canon doing a cruddy job on the software side of it! :-)

thanks all,

Jules
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2005 10:02:26 PM

Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>FWIW, I don't mind installing a few hundred KB of driver that'd make the
>camera appear as a mass-storage device, but Canon seem to want you to
>install everything from the CD which was a bit of a joke :-(

You might want to try the free Breeze Downloader from Breeze Systems.
It will download from most Canon cameras over USB. It's not a driver
that will make the camera look like a disk, but it will download your
pictures. I used it for a while before I bought a card reader.

Now that I have a card reader, I *still* use Breeze Downloader, because
it will also work from a card reader source, and it sorts my images into
directories according to the date in the EXIF data of each image. So I
can come back from a one-week trip, and my images automatically get
transferred into one folder per day.

The card reader allows me to drag-and-drop the images in Explorer, but
I'd have to collect images from multiple directories on the card (if
there are more than 100) and sort them myself by date. Downloader does
all that, so it's better than using Windows Explorer.

(It's still worth having a card reader - Canon cameras mostly seem to be
USB 1 and thus slow, while the card reader is USB 2. And you don't use
up the camera batteries during the transfer).

Dave
!