wgb_sangwoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hello,

I have had an Hp Pavilion a1520n for several years now. Does anyone know if i can upgrade anyparts or should i just buy a new rig? Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution

Deffinately a new system.

The HP pavil a1520 uses a (now slow) AMD, has DDR1 RAM, and very little graphics capablility.

Its really due for a compelete overhaul, and its not really worth investing in something so old.

(Take it from someone who is still dumping money into a Core 2 Duo computer from 2006! )
Well, it is both physically and electronically possible to upgrade parts. Whether you should or not depends on what you want it to do better. You could, for example, put in an SSD and get snappier system loads. If it's Win7, you could even set up the SSD for the correct AHCI controller mode.

So what do you want it to do better? Crunch spreadsheets? Folding@home? Higher framerates for Quake XVII? Photochop?

It also depends on your pocketbook. After a few years, a whole new system will probably be better, but more expensive, than an upgrade. First thing I would upgrade on that is memory - it came with a base of 1 GB. What OS are you running, and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

It's got integrated graphics, so almost any video card would improve the framerate of gameplay in modern games. Let me look - does it have expansion slots to put one in? Yes, one PCI Express x16.

So what's your price range and what do you want to accomplish? Or are you just noodling around? In the latter case, if you want gameplay get a graphics card and memory. Otherwise, just get memory.

If money is not a problem (would that that were true for me), buy a new machine that's built with a view to whatever load you want to put on it.

wgb_sangwoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for replying.To make things short, I'm a gamer looking to play Valve's Dota 2 game but with my system I can't even run the game at minimum settings.

Loading times for the games that I play aren't usually a problem, but what would you suggest if I were to buy an ssd?

I am on a budget (500-is that low?) but say I wasnt. What is the best video card that my computer can handle? Also, for the memory, how large can they go up to for my computer?

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Deffinately a new system.

The HP pavil a1520 uses a (now slow) AMD, has DDR1 RAM, and very little graphics capablility.

Its really due for a compelete overhaul, and its not really worth investing in something so old.

(Take it from someone who is still dumping money into a Core 2 Duo computer from 2006! )

Solution

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

500 is very average for a budget system.

Your computer handles PCIE cards, which could be anything you want, but that doesnt mean it will be good, your measly AMD processor has to keep up!

Max memory for you system is 4GB

4GB of DDR1 (for your system)

70$

4GB of DDR3 (Modern production)

30$

wgb_sangwoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
So I guess to save myself time and money in the long run, I'll need a new gaming computer. -Sigh- Ill have to say goodbye to a computer I've had for 10 yrs. Thank you all for your help. :)

Any suggestions to what computer parts I should buy for a new rig or does this question belong in "New Build"?

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

The good folks at the "new build" section will help you. They are great at what they do.