Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on Sapphire 6870.....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 1:51:29 AM

Hey all,

Not been a massive gamer recently but played through portal 2 on my 6670 and that sort of kickstarted it again.

Looking to upgrade my graphics card to play some more demanding games. Need a card that's good value for money, the 6870 seems good to me?

How would it perform on something like Deus Ex: HR or Skyrim 1920x1080? Any thoughts on better cards around this price range? Cant justify buying anything high end as it would destroy me looking at the price in a year or so. Not so fussy about frame rates as long as it averages in the 40's i'm pretty happy.

Got a Phenom II 955 BE with 8gb Corsair Ram

More about : thoughts sapphire 6870

a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 2:08:26 AM

Yea that's what I initially thought, their warranty seems to be a major bonus and always considered them to be a great manufacturer but I read some reviews on that particular card saying that it ran very hot and as a result was incredibly noisy?
Related resources
a c 141 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 2:15:27 AM

Yeah, that particular version of the 6870 from XFX isn't very good from what I heard. If you really want XFX, you may want to look at something like the 6870 Double D if it's still around.
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 3:51:31 AM

I strongly agree. The double fan version is MUCH better and runs almost silent. It is worth the extra $$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However I think the most worth while upgrade would be the HD 7850 as it is thee best bang for the buck card out there right now. You can get them for around $220 before rebates and it is a major improvement over the HD6870 in many different ways. The 7850 is highly overclockable where as the 6870 is not. When the 7850 is overclocked to 1GHz it matches the GTX580 in performance in some cases. I suggest getting a 7850 with a non-reference cooler and go with that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
a c 154 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:31:05 AM

Some points:
- Just google some benchmarks, decide on a budget and then pick the best deal
- Here's an HD6950 2GB after MIR for $215 at NCIX http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61903&vpn=HD695XCDFC&m...

I had an HD5870 which is roughly the same as an HD6870 and a little slower than the HD6950.

HD5870 and these games:

Skyrim - ran awesome. do NOT use the HD texture packs with the HD5870 as it drops the frame rate too much for not enough added quality. I got roughly max quality without the HD texture packs. (tweak to get a solid VSYNCH of 60FPS or similar most of the time).

Deus Ex HR - Looks fine with an HD5870 but won' run at max. You'll need to play around with the settings.

Diablo 3 - ran at 120FPS average at 1920x1080 but I synced to 60FPS.

*Many games play great on an HD5870, 6870, 6950. Just remember to tweak your settings to achieve a solid 60FPS most of the time.

I used RadeonPro to force SYNCH or Anti-Aliasing when not supported. For example, I forced 4xAA Supersampling at 1920x1080 for Mass Effect 1 and 2 and those games looked WAAAY better.
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 1:25:13 PM

Thanks for the advice, all great versions. I think ill go with the standard non reference cooler design if that makes sense. Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is pretty much the cheapest and has alot of good feedback on its cooling power.... and hey if not there's plenty of cooling options out there for not much more money.

As for the OC versions, yea seems like a good idea but then again I might as well just get a 560ti for that price ...and if I start that train of thought ill end up buying a 7970 or something lol.

Thanks photonboy, that's the kind of detail I was after, of course I checked benchmarks, but they don't always tell the full story so that info was very helpful. Yea gonna order this tomorrow as I probably won't see it until monday anyway and gives anyone else a chance to give their feedback. Curious as to what it would take to run Deus ex maxed out 570?
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 1:51:36 PM

Im actually from Ireland, doesnt really bother me being linked to newegg. Should have mentioned it though. The price differences are all roughly the same on this card anyway.

That card would be my first choice, but again with the extra cash spent I could probably get a better GPU. Alot of people seem to be steering me away from the Sapphire... any reason?
July 5, 2012 1:56:58 PM

paddys09 said:
Im actually from Ireland, doesnt really bother me being linked to newegg. Should have mentioned it though. The price differences are all roughly the same on this card anyway.

That card would be my first choice, but again with the extra cash spent I could probably get a better GPU. Alot of people seem to be steering me away from the Sapphire... any reason?

I guess it's mostly because you can go better, cooler etc. for a small or even no price increase ;) 
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 2:39:00 PM

Yea the extra memory would be nice... Getting closer to high end now though. Ok so what I wanna know now is... is it worth going for one of those three or should I stick with 6870 considering the price?
July 5, 2012 2:55:38 PM

paddys09 said:
Yea the extra memory would be nice... Getting closer to high end now though. Ok so what I wanna know now is... is it worth going for one of those three or should I stick with 6870 considering the price?

Look at the FPS comparison, do you really want to spend +/- €60 extra for an extra 2 Frames in Metro2033 maxed out. Most of the games where you see a significant difference are running above 100FPS anyway ;) 
July 5, 2012 3:06:29 PM

And also on the anadtech website the HD6870 scores were made with older AMD drivers, the latest drivers show a significant increase in FPS for game such as Skyrim where the FPS is almost doubled from 23.2 to around 40 maxed out.
!