Sign in with
Your question

New GPU....Black Screen on Boot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2012 2:59:33 AM

I have a Dell Vostro 220 and trying to install a Diamond Radeon HD 6570. When I insert the card and turn on the machine, everything boots but the monitor is black. Even the fan on the card is spinning.

Card requires a 400 watt PSU, and I have a 430 watt installed. "Init First Display" in BIOS is set to PCIe. BIOS has been flashed. Integrated graphics has been disabled in Windows.

The the 6570 is a PCIe 2.1 x16 card. The Vostro originally had a Radeon HD 3450 which is 2.0 x16, and it worked flawlessly for years.

Any ideas?

More about : gpu black screen boot

a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 3:47:19 AM

How do you have your monitor plugged into the video card? are you using the vga connection? If you installed the card correctly, it should work with your setup
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:54:39 AM

Yes, i'm using VGA
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:15:25 AM

nates_tips said:
I have a Dell Vostro 220 and trying to install a Diamond Radeon HD 6570. When I insert the card and turn on the machine, everything boots but the monitor is black. Even the fan on the card is spinning.

Card requires a 400 watt PSU, and I have a 430 watt installed. "Init First Display" in BIOS is set to PCIe. BIOS has been flashed. Integrated graphics has been disabled in Windows.

The the 6570 is a PCIe 2.1 x16 card. The Vostro originally had a Radeon HD 3450 which is 2.0 x16, and it worked flawlessly for years.

Any ideas?

Well, it is possible that you got a DOA video card, I know I've had it happen. Did your 6570 come with a DVI to VGA adapter? If so, try and connect your monitor to the DVI port through the adapter. Also, make sure the video card is properly seated in the PCI-E slot, if it's not you won't get any signal, obviously.

EDIT: I just remembered that some PCI-E 2.1 cards don't work properly in PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 slots because the 2.1 specification allows for the card to draw more power from the PCI-E slot, which the 1.0 and 2.0 specifications can't do.
m
l
July 5, 2012 4:18:48 AM

I have a DVI cable and just tested it. No luck. Card is seated firmly - it has been taken in and out several times.

On a side note, when the computer boots normally (without the card installed, and using onboard graphics) the system beeps one time. However, with the 6570, it does not beep.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 7:30:55 AM

nates_tips said:
I have a DVI cable and just tested it. No luck. Card is seated firmly - it has been taken in and out several times.

On a side note, when the computer boots normally (without the card installed, and using onboard graphics) the system beeps one time. However, with the 6570, it does not beep.

So the system is literally failing to initialize the PEG (PCI-Express Graphics) card. I'd ask you to check if your BIOS is set to initialize PEG graphics before the integrated/PCI graphics but as your old graphics card obviously worked in the system I can't help but feel that the graphics card might incompatible or is Dead on Arrival like I said. After some research, I doubt the 6570 is not getting enough power to initialize as it is only rated to consume 60W maximum so a normal PCI-E slot should be able to power the card. If you can test the card on another motherboard you might want to try that and see if it works, as PCI-E 2.1 cards have in general been known to have issues with 1.0 and 2.0 slots. If it doesn't work on another motherboard then the card is most likely dead.
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:41:37 PM

Tried plugging the card into another system - and the same thing happened as on the Vostro - everything else booted, but the monitor was black on boot.

So I'm thinking it's a DOA....

This card should be compatible with my setup, right? If so, I'm thinking about trying to get the 6570 replaced. If not, I'll go with something else.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 9:52:29 PM

The card should be compatible, I don't see why it wouldn't be as any PCI-E slot can deliver at least 75W of power.

The card is probably DOA, try and RMA for a new one or return it and get a different card. It's all the same in the end.
m
l
!