CPU and Mobo toast, need upgrade advice

shadowwolf9

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
My CPU and mobo are done for right now so I'm looking to upgrade ASAP for school. This is primarily a gaming rig, which I haven't upgraded since I built in May 2009.

I'm wondering what CPU/Mobo replacements I should get and what I should also replace in the process. My current specs are below:

CPU: Intel i7 920 (broken)
Mobo: Asus P6T (broken)
GPU: Sapphire 4890 OC'd (Probably upgrade later this year)
Cooler: Cooler Master V8 (can never tell if this has done much haha)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650w (any modular ideas?)
Memory: OCZ XMP 6gb DDR3 1600
HDD: One 1tb Samsung drive, one 800gb drive
Case: Antec 900

I definitely plan on upgrading to a SSD and a new GPU later this year. However, should I think about different memory, a modular/higher powered PSU, or a liquid cooler?

For the CPU I was looking at the Ivy Bridge i5-3570k and the i7-3770k. Is the 3770k worth the higher price tag?

Mobo-wise I'm pretty set on the Asus Sabertooth Z77 Armored Edition unless someone convices me otherwise.

Thanks for any input or advice!

Z77/3570K.

You may need new ram depending on what model ram you have now, it should be 1.5v or less and for a dual channel mobo, you need your ram in pairs, so the triple channel kit you have may work, but it's not ideal, it'll only run in single channel mode, and if you only use 2 sticks, you'll only have 4GB.

You can find 2x4GB kits for less than $40. I see no reason to upgrade your power supply.

shadowwolf9

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks, any other upgrade ideas that you'd advise other than an SSD and new GPU?

shadowwolf9

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
If I decide to pull the trigger on an SSD now can I migrate the OS over or do I need an entirely new activation for it?

I just wanted to run the OS/Apps off of a 128gb SSD and use the drives for all other documents and media.

Unless you get a cloning software, you will need to buy a new copy of Windows. (I don't recommend cloning, you want a clean install for maximum performance IMO)

Besides GPU and SSD, I don't have any recommendations for your rig. Everything else seems pretty, especially your PSU. I can say you won't need to upgrade your PSU for any of the single GPU cards out on the market today.

^ forgot about the RAM, he may want to get a nice 8GB dual channel kit instead of the 3x2GB sticks of RAM he has. (Assuming since triple channel :lol: )

Though I would argue about an SSD...granted that's the only thing it will really do, I feel I'm more productive with an SSD rather than a mechanical drive.