DDR MEMORY

G

I Installed two 256MEG DIMMS, my computer only recognizes 511 megs. I know its not much but why isnt it detecting 512 megs

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Are you looking at what your BIOS says during POST or are you checking what DirectX or Windows says?

If you are checking what DX or Windows says, I have seen many times where they will both report the wrong amount of system memory by one meg. Usually in Windows 2000.

If it starts at the BIOS level, then they are just cheap DIMMs and you get what you pay for.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it has something to do with memory management. Some of the address space is reserved for BIOS and ROM chip on other expansion card. Some of the RAM that use the same address as BIOS or ROM chip will be disabled.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Don't worry - you certainly have 512 MB and probably a not defective memory module (else the POST would beeeep like hell).
The one MB missing may be due to onboard video (with only 1 MB reserved via the UMA) - not very likely, or other bios activated option (ROM/Video bios shadowing or 1MB memory hole).

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts