Sign in with
Your question

Extremley rare power problem?

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2013 4:06:50 PM

I woke up yesterday morning to a completely dead pc. No clue why, hadn't been doing anything to cause it, just playing some bf3 etc :p 

I spend the whole day testing everything (memory, psu voltages, hdds, cpu etc.) to find that nothing gave me anything. I took the system to bits and rebuilt it and still the same issue (completely dead, no fans, no sign of life, no nothing.)

In a last resort I decided to try and boot by shorting the green and black wires on the 24 pin connector, and to my surprise it boots :p  So I turn it off and try the power button again and it boots straight up (wierd huh :p ).

The next day I was resorting out my cable management, everythings fine, I try to boot it up and it works. everythings perfect. Then I move the computer back to my desk and leave it for a couple of hours.

Plug it in about 5 hours later and bam! Same old problem. i try the trick with the two wires and it boots (no post, fans at full speed.) turn it off and use the power button and it boots straight up.

Anyone else had a similer issue? Im guessing its the power supply or mobo tho :p 

Specs: i5-3570k (no overclock)
6gb kingston hyper x
hd 7870
msi g45 z77a mobo

thanks in advance!
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 5:21:59 PM

Probably the power supply, but check your power switch lead on the board.
January 7, 2013 5:40:09 PM

power switch leads works perfect, nothing wrong there. So I'm guessing it is the power supply then?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 5:44:08 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, even if you had a short in the board, it's hard to isolate. But you can also breadboard your setup and see if your symptoms appear. The power supply is the easiest change for you to try first.
January 7, 2013 6:00:37 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but try running only 2 sticks of RAM as opposed to 3.
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 8:17:45 PM

Hi :) 

Psu failing...

All the best Brett :) 
!