Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7970 or 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2012 5:42:58 AM

Hey Guys,

These are the two cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR

I wont spend anymore atm because im australian and alot higher in australia.

I will eventually be going with sli or crossfire depending on what card i end up getting.

I would be overclocking the card and i will be playing MW3 and battlefield 3 and Minecraft.

Which should I go with for better performance gaming and rendering videos?

More about : 7970 670

July 5, 2012 5:48:45 AM

I wouldn't say the 7950 is a joke, but go for the 670.
Score
July 5, 2012 6:02:27 AM

Yeah probably going to go with 670 :)  Also forgot to metion im going to be recording using fraps aswell if that makes a difference :) 
Score
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:21:30 AM

Between those two cards the R7950 puts up a very good fight but when it's all said and done the outcome is GTX 670 murders the R7950
Score
July 5, 2012 6:30:45 AM

Yeah im no leaning alot towards the Asus Top Edition 670?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:41:48 AM

Yea get the 670. I love mine
Score
July 5, 2012 7:02:52 AM

Yeah is it good in sli?
Score
July 5, 2012 7:49:46 AM

I see everyone going with the GTX 670 while he clearly said he will be rendering videos on it, where 7950 have the upper hand (by a long shot).

nVidia really screwed up the compute power of the kepler cards since its only GK104 (not the GK110 everyone was waiting for)

I might recommend a GTX 580 for nVidia compute power, but u'll be sacrificing 3 displays on one card, VRAM, a bit of GPU power for games and alot more power (much higher TDP), and ofcourse its less future proof, therefore finding another one down the road to SLI might be a bit harder, but if the price is right, might be worth it.

guess it depends on ur priorities and market prices, just thought i should shed some light on the computing aspect of the cards

---UPDATE---

it seems I owe you guys an apology,

I'm a huge after effects user and the second I saw the word "rendering", I just couldn't think of anything else (where the GPGPU would actually make a difference), my bad guys

Other than that, I'm always on the green team (since the 5xxx series cards :D )
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 8:08:18 AM

If you really need to save the some money go for the HD 7950.While it is slower than the GTX 670 they can both max out any game out there so there is really no difference right now :D .The HD 7950 when overclocked is as fast as GTX 670 when overclocked but does consume quite a bit more power.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 9:36:04 AM

_Brute_Force_ said:
I see everyone going with the GTX 670 while he clearly said he will be rendering videos on it, where 7950 have the upper hand (by a long shot).

nVidia really screwed up the compute power of the kepler cards since its only GK104 (not the GK110 everyone was waiting for)

I might recommend a GTX 580 for nVidia compute power, but u'll be sacrificing 3 displays on one card, VRAM, a bit of GPU power for games and alot more power (much higher TDP), and ofcourse its less future proof, therefore finding another one down the road to SLI might be a bit harder, but if the price is right, might be worth it.

guess it depends on ur priorities and market prices, just thought i should shed some light on the computing aspect of the cards

Since when rendering is computing :pt1cable:  Please don't spread misinformation. Rendering is done by the CPU.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 10:51:38 AM

Pjak said:
Hey Guys,

These are the two cards:
OR

I will eventually be going with sli or crossfire depending on what card i end up getting.

I would be overclocking the card and i will be playing MW3 and battlefield 3.

This Tom's article is the most accurate and current representation of how the top two cards from AMD and NVIDIA perform. It's worth taking a look at: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...

TL;DR: The 670 is better but an overclocked 7970 is equal in overall performance to a 680, even though they are seriously different cards.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 10:52:47 AM

Sunius said:
Since when rendering is computing :pt1cable:  Please don't spread misinformation. Rendering is done by the CPU.

Not always. If you're using GPGPU then the rendering would be done by the GPU in which case any nvidia 6 series card is going to be at a disadvantage to its AMD equivalent.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 12:36:15 PM

s3anister said:
Not always. If you're using GPGPU then the rendering would be done by the GPU in which case any nvidia 6 series card is going to be at a disadvantage to its AMD equivalent.

Dude, GPGPU isn't used for rendering. Get your facts straight.
Score
July 5, 2012 1:56:07 PM

Get the 670. It will give the performance of an overclocked 7950. You can get the 670 on Amazon for a good price. The 7950 is O.K. if you are on a budget, but the 670 will give you much better performance for a little higher price.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 3:38:53 PM

Has anyone factored in the price here? It seems like the 7950 is $350 post-rebate and the 670 is $430. So the question is not whether the 670 is better, but whether it's $80 better--or put another way, whether it's 25% better. I'd think that if you're willing to OC the 7950, the answer to that question is no. It depends a bit on games you want to play, of course; BF3 is always a better title for nvidia. But compare the overall performance here: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598 The 7950 even at stock clocks edges the 670 in a number of titles, especially at higher resolutions (3GB of RAM). With OC (and GCN is good at overclocking), you'll make up more of the gap. This doesn't mean the 7950 is better--the 670 is. But I don't know if you want to pay that much for it. I think either one would be a reasonable choice.
Score
July 5, 2012 3:54:31 PM

I personally just bought an MSI 7950 because it was 300$, and I know that overclocking it will result in trading blows with an OC'ed 670.

Cheapest 670 is 430$ (Canada).

For 130$ difference? 7950 > 670.

For 50$ difference I might of went 670, but 130$ was nothing to scoff at.
Score
a c 79 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:16:02 PM

Quote:
I already shut that argument down... :p 

Um... you said something that made no sense.

"drivers as well as pricing change like the wind direction, you really have no point.
and factor in geographical location + resources (ability to acquire hardware) and pricing is really a non-factor.
:/ "

I don't see how thats "shuting down" a completely valid argument. Pricing is ALWAYS a factor. He said he wanted to do rendering, and some programs do support use of GPGPU. He also wanted to do overclocking. So if an overclocked 7950 matches a 670, with more memory, and better GPGPU compute performance, and is cheaper...

But if you're smoking that nvidia grass instead of looking at reality i guess it makes sense.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:17:38 PM

...he's in Australia, dudes. I just followed the prices in the links he posted. He's not in the US.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:29:48 PM

if you are planning for SLI go for 670 4GB(4GB faster than 2GB for SLI)
it will help you maxout settings
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:37:28 PM

The price difference isn't worth it to go to the GTX 670. I would OC the easily overclockable HD7950. It is a more balanced option all around, I think.
Score
a c 624 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:37:30 PM

I always get a kick out of how quickly people discount or ignore the value of PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA, forced Ambient Occlusion, Transparency Supersampling, noise levels, and overall game compatibility. Quibbling over a few FPS realy doesn't make any sense when the GTX 670 holds a lot more additional value to go along with its performance advantage.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:41:12 PM

17seconds said:
I always get a kick out of how quickly people discount or ignore the value of PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA, forced Ambient Occlusion, Transparency Supersampling, noise levels, and overall game compatibility. Quibbling over a few FPS realy doesn't make any sense when the GTX 670 holds a lot more additional value to go along with its performance advantage.

Obviously AMD has nothing to compete with those items... :sarcastic:  Maybe I should copy and paste some marketing jargon from AMDs site?
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:41:44 PM

_Brute_Force_ said:

:sarcastic:  You can't be serious lol.... if you are i guess just shows your noob.
Score
a c 624 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:44:18 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Obviously AMD has nothing to compete with those items... :sarcastic:  Maybe I should copy and paste some marketing jargon from AMDs site?

My point exactly exemplified.

Seriously, please do, I'm curious what those advantages would be.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:48:12 PM

Quote:
:heink:  :??: 
max out settings with the extra VRAM, I can see that.

but that first comment, huh.?
4GB 'faster', explain that to me please.

(going to get popcorn...)

@urban legend, what do you think of yourself han, listen if someone is wrong ask them why, if they can't answer your question teach them honestly.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:52:44 PM

17seconds said:
My point exactly exemplified.

Seriously, please do, I'm curious what those advantages would be.

Other than PhysX (and maybe FXAA), the items you listed are not proprietary to nVidia in any way.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 4:55:58 PM

he isn't going to buy 2x670 to play on one 24 monitor.
can you tell me why GTX 580 beats HD5970 on metro at 2560x1600and even the game dont work at all when 4x AA enabled,
when HD5970 is faster than GTX 580 at 1920x1200 ?
here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6990-anti...
because 5970 is limited to 1GB frame buffer,so he need 4GB 670 for SLI.
its embarrassing for an expert to write a post like that
this post for urban legend
Score
a c 624 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 5:08:57 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Other than PhysX (and maybe FXAA), the items you listed are not proprietary to nVidia in any way.

Yes they are.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 5:15:53 PM

Quote:
be nice bruddah.... :p 
Your right my bad that wasn't called for should have ignored it i apologize
Score
July 5, 2012 5:19:29 PM

Quote:
Open box? Not a valid comparo

Hell no! Brand spanking new, just big Canada Day sale event that mostly hit AMD cards, none of the new generation nVidia was on sale, and probably won't till Black Friday/Cyber Monday... wasn't going to wait that long.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 5:23:02 PM

17seconds said:
Yes they are.

Feel free to make a chart to prove that. :bounce: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 5:35:38 PM

@urban legend, tell me what is nm what does it do reply honestly don't cheat from WIKI.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 5:41:00 PM

if you still dont understand this quote can help you
(But 2560x1600 or higher is where you’d expect to use a dual-GPU card after all, and the 5970 stumbles a bit at that resolution with AAA turned on. Once we swap over to 4x MSAA, each Cypress GPU’s 1 GB frame buffer is overwhelmed and we see performance crater. )
Score
July 5, 2012 5:43:31 PM

was the op showing Asus top cu version with a triple slot config. thats not exactly a ideal card for sli
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:07:31 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
The price difference isn't worth it to go to the GTX 670. I would OC the easily overclockable HD7950. It is a more balanced option all around, I think.
Are you forgetting the 670 can OC like a beast as well edit better idea who has 7950 that's reading this thread please step up to the plate and somebody with a 670 step up as well we can settle this non sense once and for all that way edit maybe not once and for all but at least for today we can :lol: 
Score
July 5, 2012 6:15:08 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Are you forgetting the 670 can OC like a beast as well edit better idea who has 7950 that's reading this thread please step up to the plate and somebody with a 670 step up as well we can settle this non sense once and for all that way edit maybe not once and for all but at least for today we can :lol: 

well what should we run, also my 7950 reaches it's limit around 1100 so mine isn't the best.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:18:16 PM

niether card is JOKE all are good performance gpu's, it depend on the different stuff, some applications/programs like AMD while others NVIDIA.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598
as you can see in this link AMD HD 7950 has better performance in crysis. but the 670 has pretty solid performance.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:24:18 PM

welp like has already been said a million times, get a gtx 670

7950 is worth about $300 in my book....

whats even more a joke is people that buy a 7870 for 20 bucks less than the 7950... smh
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:27:49 PM

zakattak80 said:
well what should we run, also my 7950 reaches it's limit around 1100 so mine isn't the best.
Well because these types of debates get down right nasty think we half to take a vote as to what to even bench or somebody will cry foul maybe was a bad idea on my behalf
Score
July 5, 2012 6:34:24 PM

Pjak said:
Hey Guys,

These are the two cards:
OR

I would be overclocking the card and i will be playing MW3 and battlefield 3.

Based on the cards you linked...I wouldn't get that version of the Sapphire card. Not sure if you have the version that I'm going to link but from what I've found, it runs a bit louder and hotter. I would look towards either an MSI board which sells for $319.99(check for your pricing) in the states or the Sapphire board below.

Sapphire

And to answer people's comments on GPGPU accelerated rendering...Some programs are being written in to include it during some renderings. 3dsMax is starting to include it blender is getting plug ins that will be allowing it. More and more companies are seeing the benefit of using that Process.

And as for pricing...$80.00 difference between a good 7950 and a 670, I'd say that its something to really consider.

7950's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

670's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Score
a c 624 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:34:31 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Feel free to make a chart to prove that. :bounce: 

The ball is in your court. Apparently you haven't heard about all the new technologies that debuted alongside the Kepler GPU's. It would seem to be a prerequisite before giving advice on the subject.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:36:17 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:

really bc last time I checked they were... forced ambient occlusion, fxaa, traa, physX...

does catalyst 12.6 (forget latest)? have these features? To the best of my knowledge it does not

no need to make a chart, just use your brain!
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:41:58 PM

xtreme5 said:
niether card is JOKE all are good performance gpu's, it depend on the different stuff, some applications/programs like AMD while others NVIDIA.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598
as you can see in this link AMD HD 7950 has better performance in crysis. but the 670 has pretty solid performance.
Agreed it's to bad more don't think like that and realize they are both great cards in their own respect but nope just can't let it go somebody always hast to be best
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:44:34 PM

7950s are good gpus but the price is wrong given its performance, id rather have an ebayed gtx 580 for ~$250 (for single 1080p), cough cough wink wink (Urbz)
Score
July 5, 2012 6:51:49 PM

Nvidia works better with games.

670 GTX beats the Radeon 7950.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 6:53:01 PM

this is quote from gtx 590 review can prove why gtx 670 4GB better for SLI
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...
(Without anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering applied, the GeForce GTX 590 scores a narrow victory in Metro 2033 at 5760x1080. However, my postulations about available graphics memory seem to be coming true here. Even more so than at 2560x1600, 1.5 GB per card is just not enough to facilitate this resolution at aggressive settings, resulting in a veritable slide show from Nvidia’s newest card. And it’s not that the 6990 is playable. But its 2 GB per GPU is able to cope much better.)
i can find more benchmarks to prove that ,but i don't have time.
Score
July 5, 2012 6:58:07 PM

keep the posts coming. this thread is really entertaining, and i don't feel like working...
Score
!