Upgrading - What memory type?

G

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting to this BB, and actually, the first time reading here!

Anyways, I'm planning on building myself a new PC, as I'm currently running a dinosaur K6/2 300mhz. I plan on purchasing an Athlon 1.4Ghz processor. I'm still undecided on what motherboard.

Keep in mind, I play alot of 3D intensive games, and I do some work in Macromedia Flash5.

My question is twofold:

1) Can someone reccomend a good motherboard for use with the Athlon 1.4Ghz processor? One with good performance in the above areas (games, graphics).

2) What's the difference in these memory types of DDR memory and RAMBUS? What is going to give me better performance. Perhaps someone could point me to an article that explains the difference in the two types of modules, as I've been unable to locate one.

Anyways, I hope I've made myself clear, and if someone can please help me out with suggestions/tips on my questions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Merrick

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
1 - Good choice
2 - for an imediate acquisition go for the ECS sis735 based mobo - quite fast and really inexpensive
3 - for memory get 256/512MB of DDR SDRAM (PC2100)
4 - you can't use RDRAM in any current socket A chipset (just intel).

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey T,
My Answers: 1) Are you going to get a 200 mhz Athlon or a 266 mhz Athlon? I would go for the 266 mhz- the diff is the 200 mhz Athlon's run PC 133 SD-Ram(slower), the 266 mhz Athlon's can run PC2100(266 mhz) DDR Ram. Next do you need this mobo right now? and are you going cheap or are you going all out? Right now, for a cheap mobo, you can't beat the "ECS K7S5A" based on the SiS 735 chipset. For high end, this is a toss up.......check out Iwill KA 266R version BO, or Abit KG7 R. If you can wait, watch for the release of mobo's based on the Via KT266A, Nvidia Nforce, and newer SiS 735 chipsets.
2)Rambus Ram can only be used in Intel P4 systems. If you are going to build a system with a 2.0 ghz P4, by all means please buy as much Rambus Ram as you can fit in you board, this will give you the "BEST" performance. If you don't buy a P4 2.0 ghz, but a slower P4, don't be surprised if someone with a 1.4 ghz T-Bird smokes you. The low down on the Ram: Rambus cost more & must be used in pairs and has a theoretical max bandwidth of 3.2 GB's, DDR(Double Data Rate) PC2100: cost less, theoretical max bandwidth of 2.1 GB's. The main factors in this theoretical max bandwidth seem to be chipset design CPU design and memory bus design, but the tests that I have seen, have shown the T-Birds getting closer to their max bandwidth useage. I doubt any of this means anything to anyone, but I hope it helps you.
Peace Out..........tile

What do you mean, SEE THE BIG PICTURE, you mean I need a New Monitor too???

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
My Answers: 1) Are you going to get a 200 mhz Athlon or a 266 mhz Athlon? I would go for the 266 mhz- the diff is the 200 mhz Athlon's run PC 133 SD-Ram(slower), the 266 mhz Athlon's can run PC2100(266 mhz) DDR Ram.
A small correction - the 200mhz Athlon ('B') runs with a 200mhz FSB(double rate 100mhz), the 266 Athlon (aka Tbird 'c' version) runs with a 266FSB. If not overclocking, the 'C' version is faster, but both can use 100MhzSDRAM, 133SDRAM, 200DDR SDRAM (PC1600) and 266 DDR SDRAM (PC2100) depending on the motherboard. This is possible because some chipsets allow assyncronous memory (+- PCI).
If using a syncronous setup the 'B' type could be paired with 100mhz SDRAM or 200Mhz DDR SDRAM.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey A,
I did not know that a Athlon('B') could run PC2100 DDR(266Mhz). My bad. My intention was to let TechHelp know there are 2 different Athlon 1.4 ghz CPU's out there. Are you saying a Athlon('B') will run faster than a T-bird 'c' if it is over-clocked, and what if you over clock the T-bird 'c'? If you are buying everything right now, is there ever a reason to buy a Athlon('B') over a T-bird'c' at the same clock speed? I don't know for sure, but I would guess go with the T-bird'c' and DDR PC2100. I am not a expert by any means. Thanks for the correction.
Peace Out.........tile

What do you mean, SEE THE BIG PICTURE, you mean I need a New Monitor too???

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
It was an useful information.

In my post overclocking takes more the meaning of changing default settings (because it is the most common reason you do change them).
AFAIK the only difference between the 'B' and 'C' versions is the default multiplier - if they work at the same frequency they are equaly fast (the advantage from the 'C' @ default comes from superior bus bandwidth).

As AFAIK these 1.4Ghz CPUs are unlocked, a 'B' can become a 'C' (increase the bus speed to 133 and reduce the multiplier accordingly) and vice versa, during normal operation on 200/266 FSB enabled mobos that allow clock multiplier setting (all of them?).
Therefore, as you probably buy a 266FSB able mobo and the processors are unlocked (or unlockable), there is no reason to buy 'B' versions (less hassle if you go for 'C' version), even if overclocking .
I *think* the Palomino will have no 200MHz FSB version.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey A,
That I did not know! This is totally useful information, that I could use! It now makes total sense! I was assuming they must be different because of packaging and pricing, but now I see it was just marketing.....it would be much simpler to make just one type of cpu, with different packaging to rise or lower the price of the product. Thanks Again!
Peace Out..........tile

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Actually AMD now sells both versions at same price. In the market it may vary a bit, but according to the latest Sharkyextreme price list the (faster) 'C'/266FSB version is cheaper than its 200Mhz counterpart.