Sign in with
Your question

Games lagging with GTX 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2012 11:04:17 AM

Hi!

Some of my games are lagging quite badly with GTX 680, especially Battlefield 3 and Saints Row 3.
I get like 30-40 fps in Battlefield 3 when playing in multiplayer. I am playing on ultra settings, but lowering them to high or medium doesn't really help, so it is kinda frustrating. I have seen that people get like 60 fps almost all the time so...

My specs:

Graphics card: Gtx 680 4Gb vram

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Ram: 12Gb

System Model: GA-870A-UD3

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So, thanks already for trying to help me.

PS: If you want to see something more, just ask me :) 

More about : games lagging gtx 680

July 5, 2012 11:11:21 AM

Oh, and I forgot to tell that I had this problem when I had mine radeon hd 6990, so it might be a bottleneck? But who am I to say...
July 5, 2012 11:12:13 AM

Your CPU may be limiting you FPS. You should overclock it if you want to compare to other peoples results. Most people rocking a 680 will have a SB cpu and proabably an OC'd one at that.

So, your only real option will be to OC to at least 3.3+

You have 6 cores but it is likely only 4 at max will be utilised by any game....
Related resources
July 5, 2012 11:24:20 AM

^+1

Your CPU is causing the bottleneck. Overclock it!
July 5, 2012 4:12:47 PM

Thank you people! I will test it out. If the overclocking helps, I will buy a new CPU, because I have actually planned quite long time to buy a new CPU.

PS: It actually shows that the CPU usage is like around 80-99% when playing battlefield 3, so should I just OC the CPU and see what happens?
July 5, 2012 4:34:28 PM

Poxier said:
Thank you people! I will test it out. If the overclocking helps, I will buy a new CPU, because I have actually planned quite long time to buy a new CPU.

PS: It actually shows that the CPU usage is like around 80-99% when playing battlefield 3, so should I just OC the CPU and see what happens?

3.8 ghz is the sweet spot for the 1055t.

I see you have 12gb of ram, your motherboard only supports dual channel. You most likely have 4 + 4 + 4 right?

If so that last 4gb of ram is probably only in single channel mode. Download maxxmem2 and check what mode your ram sticks are running at.

You will probably see a speed up if you remove a 4gb stick, or add another 4gb stick.
July 5, 2012 4:59:37 PM

your cpu is bottle necking your gpu.mutliplayer needs a powerful cpu,overclock it to 4GHz~ or upgrade to a 2500k/3570k setup if possible.
July 5, 2012 6:27:19 PM

Thanks for your replies!

I will OC my CPU tomorrow. ( Yeah I will be careful )

I will tell you guys if it helped and how much I OCed.

And thank you for being so nice to me.
July 7, 2012 12:43:30 PM

Sorry, we went to our summer cottage and I didn't have a change to OC my CPU. I guess I am back on Monday. (I wrote this from my laptop)
July 9, 2012 11:02:53 PM

So yeah, how much can I actually OC the CPU? I have stock coolers. Just asking so I wont break my CPU...
July 10, 2012 8:32:11 AM

well on a stock cooler I would stick with my low suggestion of ~3.3 and monitor the temperatures continuously while adding load.

Really what you want is to get a proper cooler, they need not be expensive, arctic freezer pro 7 is the cheapy of choice, but others are viable too.

With a good air cooler you may get to 4GHz or so, it depends on a lot of factors.

Temperature should stay under 62 (official max operating temp) or so full load. AMD CPU's obviously don't take the heat as well as intel (which some are speced to operate at up to 100C, like my i7-2720qm)
October 31, 2012 11:05:37 PM

Hi, I'm having a similar problem with mine. I play Borderlands 2, Minecraft, etc., and it just runs fine a little bit, then it becames a little laggy. It doesn't run smoothly.

I have an i7 3770 processor
16gb Corsair pentium
Asus GTX 680 2gb
PSU TX 750 Corsair
Liquid cooling H80

I've tried everything and I still don't know what else to do. It's driving me crazy.
November 2, 2012 7:54:09 AM

^^ do you share your internet connection? A lot of the time lag in multiplayer is caused by the internet connection itself...
November 2, 2012 1:45:14 PM

My ping is always like 50. And this lag happens in other games, such MAFIA 2!? The lag in that game is small, but still, it clearly slows down in some areas.
a c 81 Î Nvidia
November 2, 2012 1:54:09 PM

Aphelion64 said:
Hi, I'm having a similar problem with mine. I play Borderlands 2, Minecraft, etc., and it just runs fine a little bit, then it becames a little laggy. It doesn't run smoothly.

I have an i7 3770 processor
16gb Corsair pentium
Asus GTX 680 2gb
PSU TX 750 Corsair
Liquid cooling H80

I've tried everything and I still don't know what else to do. It's driving me crazy.

You should not hijack someone elses post. Make your own post about this issue please. You can see it is already causing issues with the OP not being sure who is helping who.
November 3, 2012 1:24:33 AM

bystander said:
You should not hijack someone elses post. Make your own post about this issue please. You can see it is already causing issues with the OP not being sure who is helping who.

I'm sorry new to this. lol

And no, not sharing internet connection.
March 20, 2013 10:50:19 PM

Hi,

I have i7 CPU wich is pretty new and also 12GB of RAM and GTX 680 4Gb and having issues with recording using Bandicam. It is lagging much more than with my GTX 570 for some reason. Actually with GTX 570 it is almost smooth with lowest possible graphics in the game. I tried every setting in the game and Nvidia control panel but still unable to clear out what is going on. In the game itself enabling Vertical Sync helps a bit but has no effect when recording. I tested out these two video cards on the same computer and 570 brought up greater results. I do not really know what to do because I hoped GTX 680 will improve my gaming experience and recording as well but it is the other way around. Even GTX 680 shows up greater FPS results then GTX 570 but background in the game is lagging. Please advice if you have and suggestions.
!