Setting up dlink router

minkturtle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Wow, I'm pretty savvy with most things 'puter but one thing I never done is set up an internet connection (they've always been in place). Now here I am, moved into my friend's house and all she has is an old talktalk box (Hauwei SmartAX MT882) which is just wired and only has one ethernet connection. So I picked up a d-link DI-624 for 99p off eBay and thought that would solve our problems (ie, we'd have wireless). But can I get it working? Can I shoe. So now I need some help.

1. All that IP stuff is over my head.
2. Do I connect it to the old box or can it just go straight in the wall?
3. I've run the wizard a few times and that doesn't make it work.
4. Something about connecting it to the old box and turning off the DHCP (whatever that means).
5. How come the IP on the d-link's 192.168.0.1 and the IP on the other one is 192.168.1.1?

Help please! :)

the TalkTalk is a ADSL modem/router.

since it is working configure the D-link as a AP (Access Point)

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect only a computer to the D-Link router and log in

set up the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to match your Gateway's IP but ending in .253

now connect one of the four LAN ports to the Eithernet port on the TalkTalk via network cable.

minkturtle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
So it worked great last night but nothing was happening this morning. Weird. But then my computer's been doing lots of weird things lately. Internet coming on and off, utorrent working very fast and then incredibly slowly or not at all, even though I'm not making any changes.

Any ideas? Should I be doing something with the MAC address? Why 168.192.1.253 rather than 168.192.1.1 which is the IP for the ADSL?

Thanks again for the help. :)

utorrent working very fast and then incredibly slowly or not at all

did it do the same when you connected directly to the ADSL or di it start since you added the AP?
does it work normal if you don't start utorrent?
some ISP don't like P2P (ex. utorrent) traffic and disable traffic to the port when they detect it.

Why 168.192.1.253 rather than 168.192.1.1 which is the IP for the ADSL?

first I hope the first three numbers of the IPs are 192.168.1.

second your ADSL or Gateway is 192.168.1.1 for the wireless devices to work the AP needs it own IP which needs to be part of the same IP scheme then the Gateway. If you would have assigned the AP the same IP then the Gateway they would conflict.

imagine your street being you home network and your Gateway and the AP being houses on that street. fore the mail man to find you each house has its own address. for the AP it is like a community which has one entrance leading to a bunch of houses.

does the IP for the AP have to be .253? No, but some gateways end in .254 and the IP range given by DHCP starts at .1 through .253. Therefore 253 devices would have to be attached to the network before the AP would cause a conflict.

minkturtle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
did it do the same when you connected directly to the ADSL or di it start since you added the AP?
does it work normal if you don't start utorrent?
some ISP don't like P2P (ex. utorrent) traffic and disable traffic to the port when they detect it.

Yeah, it was like that before. Though my girlfriend's computer's a lot less "off and on" than mine. Thinking in an effort to fix - following online advice - I may have changed some settings that didn't help. ;-)

Sometimes it seems like torrent messes with my browser, sometimes not; sometimes it's downloading at 500kb/s and sometimes barely a trickle. Utorrent often has the amber warning - but then it'll download quite well with that and then it'll switch to green for no reason but not download at all. It does all of this without me changing anything and for no reason I can discern. V. fickle.

first I hope the first three numbers of the IPs are 192.168.1.

Oops. ;-)

does the IP for the AP have to be .253? No, but some gateways end in .254 and the IP range given by DHCP starts at .1 through .253. Therefore 253 devices would have to be attached to the network before the AP would cause a conflict.

Logging into the ADSL shows me that the end IP address in DHCP settings is 198.162.1.65. Does this have any bearing on the above?

Thanks for your help. :)

Logging into the ADSL shows me that the end IP address in DHCP settings is 198.162.1.65. Does this have any bearing on the above?

No, if .65 is the last IP in the DHCP range you could assign 192.168.1.100 as a LAN IP to the AP. you could use any IP as long as it is not part of the DHCP range or the Gateway IP

minkturtle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hm, now it doesn't seem to work at all. I reset it and started again from scratch, following the steps above, and still nothing. Or at least no internet; the computer sees the router and I can access the ADSL through the router but it won't go online. Back to the wire, unless someone can help...

minkturtle

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hi, any help here please? Don't seem to be able to get this thing working properly. If I follow the steps above this is what happens:

1. It connects with the dlink okay and I can access it through 192.168.1.1253
2. It connects with the talktalk okay, via the dlink wireless, and I can access that through 192.168.1.1
3. There's no internet. The talktalk diagnostics fails at "Testing ADSL line for sync"
4. Reconnecting to the talktalk by ethernet then doesn't give me internet either. I have to restart both that and my computer.

A solution to this would be awesome. Sorry for being so dense with what seems like a really easy problem.

PS What's the WAN port on the dlink for?

the WAN port on the D-Link would be use to connect directly to a DSL or Cable modem.

however since you have a modem/router you will not need the WAN port when the D-Link is configured as a AP.

only connect the phoneline to the TalkTalk and turn it on after being off for two minutes. Once booted up connect a computer to it via network cable and check the IP info