Water-Cooling Temps Are Weird...

halfblazed

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Okay this is completely weird and I was wondering if anyone can offer an explanation.

I had 2 680's in SLI. The "master" card was on water and the "Slave" was using its stock cooler.

When I ran the master card alone the temperatures wouldn't break 42C no matter what. However, when I enabled SLI the Master card would hit 65C and the Slave would be at 40C

So today I finally got my second water block for the slave card and installed it.

I ran them in SLI, playing the same exact game, and now the Master card runs between 42C and 47C and the slave is still at 40C.

This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Before I had the second block I thought that bottom card was heating up the top card's water-block which was why I was getting the hot temps.

How is this happening? Its completely weird. Why isn't my Slave card running a lot cooler than before? And why is my Master running so much cooler than before?

My mind is completely blown right now.

I'm not mad, I'm actually glad they are at relatively the same temps but I have no explanation for this.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
I know for AMD the 2nd card (Slave) only it's GPU is in use. it's memory is not used when in crossfire.

if the same is true for Nvidia this could explain the diff in temps from your slave card to the main card.

I am sure there are other parts of the slave card that are not used also but memory is definatly not used.