Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 24, 2012 2:38:38 AM

Looking to build a gaming center/home theater setup. Already have the TV I would like to use for a screen for home theater through HDMI but am looking for advice on monitor(s). Considering 2-3 moniter setup for gaming purposes and ease-of-use for school. The build i have comes from partspicker and i have really no preference on parts but would like to be able to upgrade this throughout the next 10 years or so if able.

Here is the Link for the build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ftV1

Any suggestions would be awesome. anything from what would be better for sound from headphones to speakers/monitors or what other options i have. Looking to spend $1500 or less for the whole setup. Possibly a little more if it means a lot better parts. The games i will be playing include BF3, WoW, Crysis, GW2, and any other upcoming popular releases in FPS and MMORPG Formats.

Another thing i would like for it to do is be able to read/write Blu-Ray and be able to watch it from my computer with the tv i already have through HDMI, is this possible? Thank you in advance for the upcoming advice. :) 

More about : build

August 24, 2012 2:48:31 AM

is this a Legit thing? Thank you if it is, are all the components compatible and will i have enough of a power supply to run it all? My main concern is with the video card not being able to handle the 3 moniters AND a blu-ray playing at the same time.

For instance, say i wanted to put in a blu-ray movie WHILE i played and either wanted to watch the movie on either the tv or one of the moniters if i have multiples. is this even plausible?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 3:03:08 AM

jholt said:
is this a Legit thing? Thank you if it is, are all the components compatible and will i have enough of a power supply to run it all? My main concern is with the video card not being able to handle the 3 moniters AND a blu-ray playing at the same time.

For instance, say i wanted to put in a blu-ray movie WHILE i played and either wanted to watch the movie on either the tv or one of the moniters if i have multiples. is this even plausible?


Yes, everything is compatible and your psu is enough.

your GPU is really good and should easily handle any kind of 1920x1080 gaming and some 2560x1600 gaming....if you want true 3 monitor performance you will need AT LEAST 2 of them and third one is recommended...

can we talk trough pm??
August 24, 2012 3:18:14 AM

I sent you a PM, not too familiar with this site though. any other suggestions with this build? I am looking to buy this fairly soon and am excited to have it be my first build.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 3:22:41 AM

jholt said:
I sent you a PM, not too familiar with this site though. any other suggestions with this build? I am looking to buy this fairly soon and am excited to have it be my first build.


Glad to hear! and about your question 3 monitors.... 1 is enough but 3 is simply better, specially for FPS games
August 24, 2012 3:25:50 AM

no major issues with compatibility though? is there still room to upgrade things at a later date if i choose to?(as in start with 1 moniter and upgrade to 2, then 3 later) are there any moniters you would recommend?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 3:38:13 AM

jholt said:
no major issues with compatibility though? is there still room to upgrade things at a later date if i choose to?(as in start with 1 moniter and upgrade to 2, then 3 later) are there any moniters you would recommend?


*Everything is compatible

*if you plan to buy 3 monitors then you need more VRAM a 3GB or 4GB GPU will be needed to game smoothly at 5760x1080, i recommend you to buy this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr797... it will outperform the GTX670/680 in most games (except BF3 but only by a little) and the extra VRAM will come in handy for 5760x1080 gaming.

*Gaming is done in 1,3 or 5 monitors, not 2 (it looks ugly as hell)

*There is a guy called Azzem40 (or Azzen40, idk lol) he can tell you what monitors to get, he is the best guy for that, but knowing him he is gonna recommend you a 23-24" monitor with led back-light and 2ms response time like this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vh236h BUT if you have the extra cash and want nothing other but the best of the best buy this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-4691253 <----- that IPS panel is AMAZING, colors are insanely vivid-
August 24, 2012 3:47:58 AM

i took a look at the moniters and seeing what i will be doing with it, i would rather get 3 with the build in speakers or 1 of the second. i'll probably start with 1 of the first and upgrade as i see how my time is most spent.

As far as the video card, is it safe to stray away from the GTX? i've heard nothing but good things about the GTX but, why do you recommend the radeon?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 3:57:51 AM

jholt said:
i took a look at the moniters and seeing what i will be doing with it, i would rather get 3 with the build in speakers or 1 of the second. i'll probably start with 1 of the first and upgrade as i see how my time is most spent.

As far as the video card, is it safe to stray away from the GTX? i've heard nothing but good things about the GTX but, why do you recommend the radeon?


*That's fine...taking things slow :lol: 

*And i assure you will not hear anything bad about it either, the GTX 670 is an EXCELLENT card but so it is the 7970 (its even better) specially for you because the 7970 has 3GB of VRAM (video memory) instead of 2GB like the GTX670 this will increase performance in 5760x1080 gaming because 2GB simply aren't enough, the 7970s beats both the 670 and 680 in most games (except BF3, it looses by about 6%)
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 3:58:57 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=598 <---- as you can see the 7970 beats the GTX670 for the most part except in Nvidia optimized games

Edit: note how the 7970 beats the 670 by 12fps in crysis2 @5760x1080 but in Portal2 (Nvidia optimized) the GTX670 beats the 7970, before you ask (why doesn't the extra GB in the 7970 helps in portal 2?) its because Portal 2 doesn't need a lot of VRAM, only a few HEAVY games like BF3, Crysis, Metro 2033 and most future games will greatly benefit from extra VRAM
August 24, 2012 4:06:45 AM

What about Future overclocking? does this become an issue? is the 7970 the better option for multi-process uses as far as multiple instances of a certain game for trading reasons/ watching a movie on a seperate moniter while i game, stuff like that. i have absolutely zero experience in overclocking and i know theres a lot that goes into it but i am keeping my options open for future purposes.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 4:12:35 AM

jholt said:
What about Future overclocking? does this become an issue? is the 7970 the better option for multi-process uses as far as multiple instances of a certain game for trading reasons/ watching a movie on a seperate moniter while i game, stuff like that. i have absolutely zero experience in overclocking and i know theres a lot that goes into it but i am keeping my options open for future purposes.



Overclocking is VERY easy and the 7970 has more overclocking headroom (some can be overclocked to almost 1.5Ghz on the core and run stable) than the GTX670.

the extra Vram will specially come in handy when you use multiple monitors (i think we already covered that :lol: )
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 4:14:18 AM

Btw... i just read this


Quote:
The build i have comes from partspicker and i have really no preference on parts but would like to be able to upgrade this throughout the next 10 years or so if able.


10 years??? that i made will not last you 3 years when something 5x times better comes out.
August 24, 2012 4:30:28 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fus5

This is the final build. any other suggestions? i greatly appreciate your help by the way. I will be submitting this build to my "self-proclaimed linux master" brother to give to his techy friends for their inputs but i think their biases will be less useful then the input i get here.

I added a mouse/keyboard combo and the moniter which hiked up the price a bit, might drop em off if i can find something in town to pick up.
August 24, 2012 4:33:28 AM

oh, and i also added an hdd from input from another source, which i've been planning on all along for ease of use. the hdd will store everything while the ssd will house the game(s) and OS for speed. That is the correct way to do it, no?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 4:45:11 AM

jholt said:
oh, and i also added an hdd from input from another source, which i've been planning on all along for ease of use. the hdd will store everything while the ssd will house the game(s) and OS for speed. That is the correct way to do it, no?


Hmmm... everything seems great but, i'd swap a few things:

*CPU cooler: the 212 EVO is a very mainstream and "good enough" cooler but there are way better options for a few bucks more and in the long term they will pay off like the NZXT HAVIK 120

*Case: case decisions shouldn't be made based on aesthetics but in airflow and space, the 500r is good but the NZXT phantom (imo looks way better) has room for a lot more stuff and given its size it has more airflow and more room for your components to "breath"

*Motherboard: Asrock is an excellent motherboard manufacturer and the Z77 Extreme 4 got a tom's hardware approved medal but its 3" thinner than most ATX motherboards making it lack of secure mounting for a second (dual slot) GPU. The Asus P8Z77V-LK or a Asrock Z77 Extreme performance are better choices, this is how your final build should look like:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fuvo

Btw... that motherboard deal is extremely rare (it usually about 20$ more expensive than the Z77 Extreme 6) so buy it NOW
August 24, 2012 4:58:28 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fuyp

i personally like the black/green better. :)  are the HDD/SSD compatable with everything else? When will i have to buy a second Video card? What about a Sound card? If i plan to watch blu-rays as a home theater type thing, is it something i need to add a good sound card or is the on-board good enough to use a reciever/sound system attatched?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 5:08:56 AM

jholt said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fuyp

i personally like the black/green better. :)  are the HDD/SSD compatable with everything else? When will i have to buy a second Video card? What about a Sound card? If i plan to watch blu-rays as a home theater type thing, is it something i need to add a good sound card or is the on-board good enough to use a reciever/sound system attatched?


*lol, i like the white/red one :ouch:  the HDD/SSD work fine, the SSD will be for the OS, a few games and the apps you use the most (Browser, etc) and the HDD is for storage and some not important games.

*you will have to buy a second video card when you get the other 2 monitors.

*Sound cards are not needed(unless you have an insane 2000$+ audiophile grade sound system, the on board sound is really good

*the extreme 4 is too thin... get the Extreme performance one.
August 24, 2012 5:16:11 AM

Good catch on the motherboard.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fuCu

Final Build. Do you see any hiccups? i'm too excited to put it together, but there is still a ton of work to do. I live in Alaska so trying to find these for the best price+shipping is going to be hard. Anything else you'd change? what is my order of operations for after i'm done putting it together? I'm still new so i am completely ignorant to this process. any good guides out there on the order to put it together in so as not to fry everything? :p  Thank you again. :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2012 5:35:58 AM

jholt said:
Good catch on the motherboard.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fuCu

Final Build. Do you see any hiccups? i'm too excited to put it together, but there is still a ton of work to do. I live in Alaska so trying to find these for the best price+shipping is going to be hard. Anything else you'd change? what is my order of operations for after i'm done putting it together? I'm still new so i am completely ignorant to this process. any good guides out there on the order to put it together in so as not to fry everything? :p  Thank you again. :) 


Perfect!

read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g... and watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Btw...order the mobo NOW before the deal ends...normally that motherboard cost ~170-180$
!