$600-$700 gaming build (first build)

I am pretty much switching from console to PC and don't have access to a ton of money as I am not working at the moment. I'm willing to spend $600-$700 on this build, which is to be my first. I am completely new to the custom PC building world and would love if anyone here would be willing to help me. I do not need to purchase a monitor as I have one I plan to hook up to the new system via hdmi. I also have a keyboard and mouse. I am looking to play games like skyrim, magicka, bf3, left 4 dead 2, etc. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
17 answers Last reply
More about gaming build first build
  1. since newegg has a ridiculous sale atm for several things, let me make a build

    btw do you need OS?


    Also, this build will be time sensitive because these are on sale!
  2. dudewitbow said:
    since newegg has a ridiculous sale atm for several things, let me make a build

    btw do you need OS?


    Also, this build will be time sensitive because these are on sale!

    Awesome! Thanks for the fast reply! I literally posted this 5minutes ago. And ya I will be needing an OS too...windows 7 or vista will do fine. Don't want to sink too much money into os if I don't have to.
  3. Rosewill Challenger + Hive 650w 77.48$ with promo code EMCNBHG23 (cant really find a bettwe deal psu+case for price wise atm)
    AMD 965 BE + Asus 24x drive 116$ - 2.55 combo with promo EMCNBHG35
    Asrock extreme3 970 + 2x4gb Ram Promo 85$
    WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 90$ -13.50$ with promo code EMCNBHG38
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 100$(can actually get this cheaper on amazon a bit)
    Hyper 212+ Evo 35$
    Sapphire Dual-X 7850 210$

    Total, 697.36 if your Sign up for free shoprunner for 6 months. this will negate ALL shipping costs and do a 2 day delievery on most parts but the case

    There's almost no better time to buy a build with a clearance % off sale AND right after AMD announced price drops on the 7850/7870/7950


    Note that these sales are extremely time sensitive with the ones marked as using promo codes.(and the mobo + free 2x4 gb ram sale on select am3+ mobos)

    this build has ability to overclock, fit a heatsink in there for you as well.
  4. dudewitbow said:
    Rosewill Challenger + Hive 650w 77.48$ with promo code EMCNBHG23 (cant really find a bettwe deal psu+case for price wise atm)
    AMD 965 BE + Asus 24x drive 116$ - 2.55 combo with promo EMCNBHG35
    Asrock extreme3 970 + 2x4gb Ram Promo 85$
    WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 90$ -13.50$ with promo code EMCNBHG38
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 100$(can actually get this cheaper on amazon a bit)
    Hyper 212+ Evo 35$
    Sapphire Dual-X 7850 210$

    Total, 697.36 if your Sign up for free shoprunner for 6 months. this will negate ALL shipping costs and do a 2 day delievery on most parts but the case

    There's almost no better time to buy a build with a clearance % off sale AND right after AMD announced price drops on the 7850/7870/7950


    Note that these sales are extremely time sensitive with the ones marked as using promo codes.(and the mobo + free 2x4 gb ram sale on select am3+ mobos)

    this build has ability to overclock, fit a heatsink in there for you as well.

    This looks awesome! Thanks a ton! Just under my budget and looks pretty awesome! Have you had any personal experience with any of the linked products? And just out of curiosity how long you think this particular build would last me? And still be able to run games decently of course. Its fine if you can't provide an answer, like I said I'm totally new to this so i have questions. And can u personally reccomend any sort of guide to putting this thing together?
  5. MysticBanana said:
    This looks awesome! Thanks a ton! Just under my budget and looks pretty awesome! Have you had any personal experience with any of the linked products? And just out of curiosity how long you think this particular build would last me? And still be able to run games decently of course. Its fine if you can't provide an answer, like I said I'm totally new to this so i have questions. And can u personally reccomend any sort of guide to putting this thing together?


    I personally own a Sapphire 7850, but thats the newer model with slightly better fans. the 7850 is similar to the Gtx 570 performance wise, it runs cool and overclocks pretty easily, even without changing any voltage(which causes hardware to heat up when changed). The 965 BE isnt always something I recommend straight up except in one occasion, when one of the games in question is Battlefield 3, as battlefield 3 likes to see CPU's with real quad cores, with the current free 8 gb ram with purchase of select AM3+ mobo(saves you like 45$), its extremely hard to turn down. when probably set up and overclocked(proper heatsink makes overclocking cpu much easier as well), The build in question should be able to play games at ultra at 1920x1080(may need to overclock) plus or minus anti aliasing depending on the game with respectable fps. As for actually building the computer, the case usually has an indepth guide on how to build it, if you need help, feel free to send me a message
  6. idroid said:

    Your build no has OS, dudewitbow gets the cookie for keeping it in budget. :hello: *Wonders what the super secret PM is about*
  7. nekulturny said:
    Your build no has OS, dudewitbow gets the cookie for keeping it in budget. :hello:


    Hey i gotta ask you something, read your pms in a few minutes please :D
  8. nekulturny said:
    Your build no has OS, dudewitbow gets the cookie for keeping it in budget. :hello: *Wonders what the super secret PM is about*


    it also lacks dvd drive and considers the price after mail in rebate, assumes op lives next to micro center and disregards in store tax
  9. dudewitbow said:
    it also lacks dvd drive and considers the price after mail in rebate, assumes op lives next to micro center and disregards in store tax


    He won't need a DVD drive
  10. And just because Diamond is a more valuable gem stone than a sapphire, doesn't mean Diamond makes better graphics card than Sapphire, but I didn't want to nitpick :lol:
  11. idroid said:
    Hey i gotta ask you something, read your pms in a few minutes please :D

    Uhoh lol
  12. I would not mind having a DVD drive...yes dudewitbow gets my thumbs up for sure! Stayed right within budget and seems to have pretty good quality things in the build. I do not live near a microcenter either. Thank you all for your help so far!
  13. idroid said:
    He won't need a DVD drive


    regardless if he does need one or not(since he does need OS) I basically almost set it up so its almost free (-11$ from cpu+dvd drive combo and -2.55$ with promo code) the drive itself is 17$ so OP is literally paying only 3.45$ for a 24x drive, which is pretty small for a convenience factor to not take a drive off another computer and dump it onto his.
  14. MysticBanana said:
    I would not mind having a DVD drive...yes dudewitbow gets my thumbs up for sure! Stayed right within budget and seems to have pretty good quality things in the build. I do not live near a microcenter either. Thank you all for your help so far!



    Did you even read my PM? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=prive&page=1
  15. idroid said:

    Ya and I also replied to it :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product