xSuTxTLeSx

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a i7 3770k Processor, gigabyte z77x UD3H Motherboard, 2 4g sticks of vengeance 1600 DDR3 RAM, Wester Digital SATA BLACK 1TB HDD, ADATA S510 120GB SATA III SSD and a gigabyte GTX 660 OC version GPU. I Power all of this with a Corsair HX750 750W PSU (i was told that this would be more than enough power for all of my componants). I literally got Windows 7 home premium 64-bit and the Graphics card yesterday. I was super happy to FINALLY get my computer up and running after 3 months of buying parts. When i put everything together prior to the GPU's arrival, everything worked and powered on just fine. I get the GPU and it comes with this old lookin cable and it has the 8 pen connector that goes into the GPU and on the other end of the cable it splits into 2 seperate pieces, both of which are white 4 pen connectors (im farely new to the computer building world, so im not sure the name of the cable lol). I only connected one of the white connectors into a power cord coming from the PSU (again, im new to building computers) and the power comes on and the monitor tells me that i need to connect the PCI Express cable into the Graphics card. Me not knowing what that is at the moment, so i just connect the second 4-pen white connector into a power cord coming from the PSU and thats when my problem starts... After i connected the second cable and hit the power button, my system turns on and then automatically turns off and i smell something burning, so i pull the power cord out and start too freak out... I go online and look up a PCI-E cable and sure enough i had one of those and connected it into the GPU and PSU. Still have the same problem, though. I hit the power button and it turns on and then automatically turns back off, and btw, the PSU makes this popping noise everything i hit the power button and then shuts off. Many of my friends have told me that they think i blew the PSU by not using the correct cable (the cable came with the GPU) when i hooked up my GPU. I have read forums on question similar to mine, but none as detailed as me. Can anyone possibly relate or possibly tell me if my PSU is for sure the problem?

Thanks,
Chris.

Ramzzz2936

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
yes the psu is the probel if u have anyothzr psu or get one from some to check all the parts just put any power supply in which can handle the cpu and other stuff load except gpu remove the gpu if the psu isnt enough and check all the parts of computer

popatim

Titan
The only thing you did wrong is not connect up both those 4pin molex connectors to the ones coming from the PSU (using that cable that came with the gpu) but that shouldn't prevent the pc from booting up. If your PSU is making popping noises then definitely return it for another one.

xSuTxTLeSx

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Thanks for the comment. I shipped the PSU back too CORSAIR today and i hope too get a return by next Friday at the latest. I have another "Gaming" computer at my apt, but the PSU isnt modular, so i dont wanna go through with the hassle of all of those cables lol ill just wait until next week and HOPE to GOD the PSU was the only problem!

xSuTxTLeSx

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Another thing, is 750w plenty of power? I no that the 660 only requires a minimum of 450w, but is 750w more than enough too power up everything i listed?

xSuTxTLeSx

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

The cable you are referring to is the PCI-E cable, correct?