Sign in with
Your question

Building My First System (Need Advice)

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2012 3:52:40 AM

Hey there :hello:  ,
So this is the first time I'm building a computer. I have been researching/learning and looking around for a while now and I planned out a rough sketch of the components I am interested in. I would appreciate any of your experience, advice, and recommendations for my build as well as any modifications to it. Also helping me answer some of my questions would be great :D  . The computer will be mainly used for Gaming (mmos, rpgs, fps, all types), Multimedia (movies, music, etc..), and some video editing. I would like to have this rig built by one months time. I read a lot about overclocking different components and though this is my first time, I would be willing to try it out (but keep in mind its my first time :kaola:  ). My budget doesn't really matter as long as it is relatively around the price tag of my sketch (maybe even more). So without further ado here it is:

CPU: Intel core i5-2500k - (is it worth getting i5 3570k? or is overclocking the other one fine)
CPU cooler: Thermaltake water 2.0 extreme Liquid Cooling System - (what about Corsair H100?)
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature+ w/Backplate - (feel free to recommend a different one)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8g (4gx2 or 2gx4?? whats the difference?) - (or should i get 16g to be sure for the future (I know I do not need more than 4g for games and 16g is an overkill but just asking to make sure :)  ))
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX (feel free to recommend a different one)
Sound card: Is it worth spending money for a high-end quality one or can I happily stick with the integrated one?
Storage: Looking around and I'm looking at an SSD (100-150g) to put the OS on and maybe some applications that require faster loading. To pair that, a 2T or 3T Hard Drive for all the storing - There are a lot of different companies and prices out there so if you guys could recommend some (from trusted and good quality brands)(and compatible with the Mobo ofc).
Optical Drive: Recommend me a trusted brand good one that can support CD, DVD, and Blu ray (won't be burning but I guess it's safe to have the basic CD + DVD burning. Will this require me to need to have two or more Optical Drives?
Power Supply: As for this matter I'm a bit lost on how to choose one :o  . Just recommend me a trusted brand modular PSU that will appropriately power my system.
Case: I'm thinking of the Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 because it looks good both aesthetically and preformance wise, but I'm sure it is wayyyy to big for my set up lol :na:  . I like the aggressive style LED lighted one's :sol:  so tell me a few ones that are big enough for my rig and also CAN HARBOR THE Thermaltake water 2.0 extreme Liquid CPU Cooling.

If you guys could go over this build with any tips that would be awesome. Being new to this world can be a real headache :ouch:  going through all the the different types and stuff but I guess it will become more natural with experience. Also please let me know if everything is compatible with each other because it will drive me crazy if it isn't :sweat:  .

As for Input Devices, I will get it all separately (prob set up some nice razer gear :love:  ).
And for the monitor I will probably buy a high-end monitor/screen as I will use it for my computer, TV, and console gaming. (does getting a screen and connecting an HDMI from my computer work?)

Extras: Where can I get supplies or a kit that had extra screws, cable tiers, etc.. (other mini-tool necessities) and thermal paste.

Well hope this isn't too much questions to put on one thread but I got a lot!
Thanks in advance for you help! :bounce: 

More about : building system advice

August 24, 2012 4:07:21 AM

Have you read Any of the threads in this forum? Your questions have already been answered, most definitely...
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:24:56 AM

Only some of the questions are already answered, the rest are recommendations. And I specifically said "I know [...] just asking to make sure". I asked all these questions to get a response all in one thread. All the other threads that answer the questions have debates or are still grey area, I'm just trying to solidify my understanding as a new comer to building. Thanks for the help and positive attitude.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 4:32:12 AM

Get the 3570K, get the Hyper 212+/Noctua D14, get the 670. Get 8GB, but get only 2 sticks. Sabertooth is overkill. Get the ASUS p8Z77 V LK. very few system builders get sound cards anymore. A Crucial or Samsung 830 SSD will be good.
m
l
August 24, 2012 4:40:37 AM

obsama1 said:
Get the 3570K, get the Hyper 212+/Noctua D14, get the 670. Get 8GB, but get only 2 sticks. Sabertooth is overkill. Get the ASUS p8Z77 V LK. very few system builders get sound cards anymore. A Crucial or Samsung 830 SSD will be good.

Thanks for the advice!
m
l
!