January 7, 2013 8:49:52 PM

As a precursor to the following wall of text:

Symptoms:
Fans on
Mobo lights on, capacitors fine
HD spins
No display
No beep codes
No power to mouse/keyboard, but power to speakers (all connected to the same run of usbs, which is weird to me)

Tried:
Swapping every (and I mean every, including the power supply) component except the HD, mobo, and cpu
Resetting the CMOS (by cutting power and pulling the battery)
Cleaning everything

This has led me (and a friend who is an IT professional) to believe the issue is the CPU.

If anyone has any advice or any other suggestions please let me know, I'm getting desperate. Don't want to replace $500 worth of mobo/cpu.

Now, for the rant:

I ordered a computer from Tiger Direct (because I didn't feel like building one, my last needed an upgraded and I just wanted it ASAP) and was sent a Systemax machine.

First off, terrible idea. Never buy one of these things.

It had a faulty mobo from the get-go. Capping out at 100 degrees (apparently and intel feature; it won't let itself process above this temp) every time it turned on. I sent it in, they "updated my drives" and said their tests found "no issues". I called them, called BS, so they said "ok, maybe it's the xfire cable. Let's send you a new one". This didn't work (shocker), and I sent it in with full logs from my own diagnostics and stress tests along with a respectful yet firm letter inside the case telling them exactly what the problem is and what needed to be fixed. Lo and behold, they replaced my mobo/cpu and everything worked fine after that!

... for about six months. Now my CPU just crapped out. My guess is they used a refurbished mobo/cpu for repair. Standard for the industry, but I thought the new parts came under a new warranty. Guess what, they don't! So apparently the 7 months I spent trying to get the original faulty mobo replaced counted against my 1 year warranty, so when their refurbished one failed six months later it's not covered. So I'm going to need to fork over about $400 to replace this.

Is this even legal? How can they ship a machine with a defective core component, and then use less-than-adequate parts for repair that quickly fail and claim it's not their problem? I'm absolutely baffled by this.

Does anyone have any advice? Anything I can do to twist their arm? And legal recourse ($400 isn't much in the scheme of things, but it's the principle here)?

/endrant.

More about : issues

!