Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP CONFIRM MY FIRST BUILD

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 24, 2012 4:01:49 AM

I'm extremely paranoid about building my first computer as it seems like anything can go wrong, whether it's buying the wrong parts, or screwing something up while building it. Below I left my computer's build.

I need your help to confirm that everything is compatible, and that the computer is in fact good for gaming. I need to know if all the parts I chose were a good choice, especially the motherboard, CPU cooler, and case (if it's big enough to fit everything and if it has good cable management).

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.93 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.98 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $1543.62

If you have any suggestions or tips for a first build, please reply!

Thanks!

More about : confirm build

August 24, 2012 4:24:28 AM

It's kind of pointless to get two CD/DVD burners anymore unless one of them is a BD-R drive. On a gaming system you won't use all the features of the i7-3770K or 16GB of RAM. Drop that to the i5-3570K and 8GB. The difference - around $150 - will allow you to add a nice SSD like a Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 to that build. Otherwise everything looks good.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:27:45 AM

Everything looks kosher to me.

Is that two optical drives or just one pasted twice?

One suggestion that I do have is to get a bigger monitor. There's nothing wrong with the one that you picked out but the display industry is very mature right now. If you buy a good monitor now it can last many many years.

I suggest this one instead

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-m2gcr

It is an LED IPS panel unlike yours which is an LED TN panel. Most TN panels downscale 24 bit colour to 18 bit colour via interpolation. A good LED can offset this somewhat but it's still inferior. IPS panels support a full 30 bits of colour for professional graphics and 24 bits for standard gaming.

The colour quality on IPS panels is simply unmatched
m
0
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 4:29:33 AM

Yeah, that's another thing I'm unsure about. I have no idea what I picked out in terms of optical drives so I need some more feedback on that. What model to get, etc.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:29:34 AM

If this is for gaming, then +1 to what g-unit and pinheld said.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:32:48 AM

Feriscool said:
Yeah, that's another thing I'm unsure about. I have no idea what I picked out in terms of optical drives so I need some more feedback on that. What model to get, etc.


Asus makes great optical drives and that one is fine. You can get an Asus BluRay burner for about 60 bucks but optical media is mostly obsolete. Everything is digitally distributed now
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:33:41 AM

Optical drives are optical drives. Do you want to read/burn Blu-Rays? Bluray drives are about $50, DVD/CD drives are $20.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:45:53 AM

Yeah, bluray drivers aren't my thing. Never in my life have I had a need for them. :p 

Pinhedd said:
Everything looks kosher to me.

Is that two optical drives or just one pasted twice?

One suggestion that I do have is to get a bigger monitor. There's nothing wrong with the one that you picked out but the display industry is very mature right now. If you buy a good monitor now it can last many many years.

I suggest this one instead

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-m2gcr

It is an LED IPS panel unlike yours which is an LED TN panel. Most TN panels downscale 24 bit colour to 18 bit colour via interpolation. A good LED can offset this somewhat but it's still inferior. IPS panels support a full 30 bits of colour for professional graphics and 24 bits for standard gaming.

The colour quality on IPS panels is simply unmatched


Yeah, that monitor is a bit expensive. :/ 
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 5:16:58 AM

Feriscool said:
Yeah, bluray drivers aren't my thing. Never in my life have I had a need for them. :p 



Yeah, that monitor is a bit expensive. :/ 


Yeah it was just a thought, I wasn't sure what your budget would allow for.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 3:56:23 PM

I'm now concerned about fans for this case. Does anyone have suggestions?
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:04:48 PM

Fans aren't that big of a deal. Get one or two 120mm fans.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:07:26 PM

Feriscool said:
I'm now concerned about fans for this case. Does anyone have suggestions?


Fans are about $5 each and will not make/break a system. The fans that come with the case are usually enough
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 4:28:43 PM

Pinhedd said:
Fans are about $5 each and will not make/break a system. The fans that come with the case are usually enough


You can only buy as many fans as your case has mounts for - and the size of the fans do matter. Most modern cases allow for up to 200mm fans on the top and 120mm fans on the side, and 140mm fans on the front.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 11:03:39 PM

I'm now considering getting a CPU liquid cooler mainly because it's safer and quieter. Does anyone have any suggestions in respects to the CPU I chose?
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 11:06:46 PM

An air cooler can be quiet. Get the Noctua D14.
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 1:42:11 AM

Alright thanks.

Can someone please confirm that the motherboard is compatible with the GPU and everything else?
m
0
l
August 25, 2012 2:21:36 AM

All a GPU needs to be compatible with a mobo is a PCIe slot. That's pretty much every GPU and mobo since 2006.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 3:23:47 AM

How much more is the 3770K?
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 3:25:08 AM

Not sure if I should go with i7 3770k or the i7 2700k. Any feedback there?
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 3:37:19 AM

obsama1 said:
How much more is the 3770K?


$30 more, which is fine for me. Now my concern is the heat it might go up to. I'm a first time builder, so do you think it would be fine to buy some sort of CPU cooler. I'd also appreciate it if you could suggest a CPU cooler that will have no issues cooling one of these beasts (probably the 3770k).
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 3:42:58 AM

I'd get the 2700K instead. $30 isn't worth it.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 3:43:50 AM

obsama1 said:
I'd get the 2700K instead. $30 isn't worth it.


Alright, as for CPU cooling, I'm still worried. Any feedback in respects to that?
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 5:06:06 AM

Cooling isn't a big issue. Get the hyper 212 EVO.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 5:48:41 PM

I have a new issue...the monitor. I'm trying to find a monitor that is somewhat elevated off the base of it like the Dell UltraSharp U2412M, but I've heard some issues with it and it's a bit expensive. Any ideas?
m
0
l
!