Need new PSU - would love your help

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Greetings;

First - yes, I read some of the stickies on power supplies. And I've about convinced myself that my existing PSU on my dinosaur-refurbished-can't-be-returned computer is insufficient for the new pci graphics card I'll likely buy (ZOTAC ZT-60604-10L GeForce GT 610 512MB 64-bit DDR3) - it required a min. 300W PSU.

There's a photo of the existing PSU label at flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91939719@N07/

So it says I have 225 W or 115 W depending on what you're reading on the label. Now I tried to understand the sticky on reading a PSU label - but still confused.

So I figure you guys/gals are much better at this and actually enjoy it! - which I do not - at least not much!

Anyway. I have this bare-bones dinosaur computer that needs a new PSU so I can upgrade the video card. What a pain in the #$%%^!

Oh - the computer is a slim line - lenovo M55e - not much space in there! And all I intend to do with it is watch internet videos/movies (netflix) and play dvds - it will also be my digital music library server.

Thanks in advance for your comments; the other photos on flicker are of the MB and card slots - fyi

Kelly

Rammy

Honorable
It's not really designed to be upgraded, which means it's probably more hassle than its worth.

The PSU should be 225W, but only 144W is available in 12V (what you need for modern graphics cards). For that card, it appears to have a universal slot meaning it can use 3.3 or 5V. The card itself is only supposed to draw about 30W.

Due to the fact this card has such a low power usage, I'm inclined to bet that it'll work without any issues, despite the low power.

If you get to the point of having to spend more money, I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

I was going by the OP's image, but apparently that's for an XFX card:

8356118230_b9256365d7_z.jpg

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah I saw that one too, I assume he realised it wouldn't fit 99% of current graphics cards, hence the Zotac one. Never actually used one of those universal PCI things but I've seen a picture before somewhere.

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Yes, I bought that XFX card not realizing that the PC did not have a PCI-E slot!! I was confused cuz it looked like it should fit but didn't and went through many many posts yesterday on the Graphics Card forum - how much fun!! It never occurred to me that I could buy even a refurbished computer in 2012 that did not have a pci-express x16 slot!! so much for that idea!

Anyway - what about the PSU? Do I need a new one?

Thanks

Kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
OH - sorry - looks like I shouldn't have a problem and should give it a try - since I (probably) can't upgrade the PSU - is that where I'm at?

Thanks so much for your time and comments

kelly

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for all your help!! Can't really choose a 'best answer' cuz at two of you were 'best' for different reasons:

Rolli59 - for the first 'best' answer and for confidence!; Rammy for the first 'best technical' answer!

take care

kelly

TRENDING THREADS