Mage build

Hi All,

I've read on forums that its recommended to build a mage around a 31/20
build of fire and arcane (assuming you want a fire mage). What exactly
though is it that people recommend investing in? Can anyone give me a
breakdown of a nice build like

Improved fireball 4/5.. etc etc until all 51 points are used.

Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about mage build

    dunno, I'm all ice... and not because it's a better build or what not,
    it's just my character's thing, and so far I've had no problems
    whatsoever killing mobs. And does just fine in PvP too (the little
    I've done)

    /YAWN
    Another Cookie Cutter Player :P

    KingCreole wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've read on forums that its recommended to build a mage around a 31/20
    > build of fire and arcane (assuming you want a fire mage). What exactly
    > though is it that people recommend investing in? Can anyone give me a
    > breakdown of a nice build like
    >
    > Improved fireball 4/5.. etc etc until all 51 points are used.

    Here is Gyrus' damage build:

    Arcane: 31 points

    Arcane Focus 4/5
    Improved Arcane Missiles 5/5
    Arcane Concentration 5/5
    * Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
    * Evocation 1/1
    * Improved Counterspell 2/2
    Arcane Mind 4/4
    ** Presence of Mind 1/1
    Arcane Instability 3/3
    ** Arcane Power 1/1

    Fire: 20 points

    Improved Fireball 5/5
    Impact 5/5
    Ignite 5/5
    Flame Throwing 2/2
    Incinerate 2/2
    Pyroblast 1/1

    Frost: 0 points

    I marked the especially nice Arcane talents with a "*", and the ones
    that I think are critical I marked with "**".

    This build is designed to pump out initial damage very fast.

    There are basically two ways to go with a mage at the end of the game:
    do as much damage as you can as fast as possible (the Arcane/Fire
    route), or control the combat as much as possible (the Frost route). The
    damage approach works better in combat against casters and healers, and
    is good for one-on-one PVP, especially against healers. The control
    approach works better for group support in instances and raids, and
    against melee classes.

    The damage approach (Arcane/Fire) is kind of twitchy; you want to
    practice loading up the initial damage as much as you can. You want just
    as much mana as you can come up with, and any reasonable buffs to damage
    you can find.

    The control approach is not as twitchy; it's more about hindering your
    opponent's movement to make it hard for him to hurt you. It does not
    work so well against hi-powered casters, and it can be really hard to
    kill good healers one-on-one. The Frost route is not so much about DPS,
    and good healers can often heal faster than you can do damage.

    So you have to decide what you want to be good at. If you want fast PVP
    kills and high effectiveness against healers and casters, then you want
    the damage build. If you want best instance and raid support in groups
    and best effectiveness against melee units, then you want Frost.

    I;ve seen other experienced mages recommend mostly Frost with some
    amount of talent in Arcane. In my personal experience, if you go Frost,
    it's not worth putting anything in Arcane. You can't get the really
    worthwhile Arcane talents unless you put a *lot* of points there, and if
    you do that you are really diminishing the benefits of the Frost tree.
    I'm open to correction if someone else argues for a different build, but
    I experimented with various builds and decided that when going Frost, I
    prefer to go 51 Frost.

    lol!
    cookie cutter?
    if it is, then they all copied from mine build because, I didn't read
    or get my build from anywhere.
    Every level I pretty much read the powers and... click the one that
    sounds cooler :)
    If that's a cookie cutter then ... pfft!

    "KingCreole" <shamble@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've read on forums that its recommended to build a mage around a 31/20
    > build of fire and arcane (assuming you want a fire mage). What exactly
    > though is it that people recommend investing in? Can anyone give me a
    > breakdown of a nice build like
    >
    > Improved fireball 4/5.. etc etc until all 51 points are used.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I went 33/18, but for leveling not all that different than your plan.
    Actually at 32/18, haven't figured out what to do with my last point yet -
    it just sits there idle.

    For speediest leveling if you play solo often go heavy, heavy fire while
    leveling. Leave the Arcane stuff til the end. Exception would be get your
    five points in Improved Arcane Missles by about lvl 45 as it gives you a
    second viable school of magic to deal damage (at about this level you'll
    find occassional mobs highly resistant to fire)

    My suggestion would be first 29 points into Fire (skip Incinerate and
    Combustion til later, do Ignite after you get Burning Soul and
    Flamethrowing), 11 points Arcane, 3 more into Fire and finish off with the
    remaining 7 points in Arcane.

    I play heavy solo PvE, not much PvP. I do just fine in instances with this
    build.. no idea if it's a decent PvP build though. My build goes like this:
    ------------
    Arcane Talents (18 points)

    Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points
    Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while
    channeling Arcane Missiles.

    Arcane Concentration - 5/5 points
    Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage
    spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your
    next damage spell by 100%.

    Evocation - 1/1 point
    While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased
    by 1500%. Lasts 8 seconds.

    Improved Arcane Explosion - 5/5 points
    Reduces the casting time of your Arcane Explosion by 1.5 seconds.

    Improved Counterspell - 2/2 points
    Gives your Counterspell a 100% chance to silence the target for 4 seconds.

    Frost Talents (0 points)
    None

    Fire Talents (32 points)

    Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
    Reduces the casting time of your Fireball by 0.5 seconds.

    Impact - 5/5 points
    Gives your fire spells a 10% chance to stun the taget for 2 seconds.

    Ignite - 5/5 points
    Your critical strikes from fire damage spells cause the target to burn for
    an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 seconds.

    Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
    Increases the range of your fire spells by 6 yards.

    Burning Soul - 3/3 points
    Gives your fire spells a 65% chance to not lose casting time when you take
    damage.

    Incinerate - 2/2 points
    Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire Blast and Scorch spells by
    4%.

    Pyroblast - 1/1 point
    Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes 148 to 195 fire damage and an
    additional 56 damage over 12 seconds.

    Level 24: 180 to 236 damage, 72 over 12 seconds
    Level 30: 255 to 327 damage, 96 over 12 seconds
    Level 36: 329 to 419 damage, 124 over 12 seconds
    Level 42: 407 to 515 damage, 156 over 12 seconds
    Level 54: 600 to 750 damage, 228 over 12 seconds
    Level 60: 716 to 890 damage, 268 over 12 seconds

    Critical Mass - 3/3 points
    Increases the critical strike chance of your fire spells by 6%.

    Fire Power - 5/5 points
    Increases the damage done by your fire spells by 10%.

    Combustion - 1/1 point
    When activated, this spell gives your next fire damage spell a 100% critical
    strike chance.

Warcraft Games Build Video Games