Mage build

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2005 3:00:23 PM

Hi All,

I've read on forums that its recommended to build a mage around a 31/20
build of fire and arcane (assuming you want a fire mage). What exactly
though is it that people recommend investing in? Can anyone give me a
breakdown of a nice build like

Improved fireball 4/5.. etc etc until all 51 points are used.

Thanks in advance

More about : mage build

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:12:00 PM

dunno, I'm all ice... and not because it's a better build or what not,
it's just my character's thing, and so far I've had no problems
whatsoever killing mobs. And does just fine in PvP too (the little
I've done)
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:31:25 PM

/YAWN
Another Cookie Cutter Player :p
Related resources
August 15, 2005 3:53:05 PM

KingCreole wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've read on forums that its recommended to build a mage around a 31/20
> build of fire and arcane (assuming you want a fire mage). What exactly
> though is it that people recommend investing in? Can anyone give me a
> breakdown of a nice build like
>
> Improved fireball 4/5.. etc etc until all 51 points are used.

Here is Gyrus' damage build:

Arcane: 31 points

Arcane Focus 4/5
Improved Arcane Missiles 5/5
Arcane Concentration 5/5
* Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
* Evocation 1/1
* Improved Counterspell 2/2
Arcane Mind 4/4
** Presence of Mind 1/1
Arcane Instability 3/3
** Arcane Power 1/1

Fire: 20 points

Improved Fireball 5/5
Impact 5/5
Ignite 5/5
Flame Throwing 2/2
Incinerate 2/2
Pyroblast 1/1

Frost: 0 points

I marked the especially nice Arcane talents with a "*", and the ones
that I think are critical I marked with "**".

This build is designed to pump out initial damage very fast.

There are basically two ways to go with a mage at the end of the game:
do as much damage as you can as fast as possible (the Arcane/Fire
route), or control the combat as much as possible (the Frost route). The
damage approach works better in combat against casters and healers, and
is good for one-on-one PVP, especially against healers. The control
approach works better for group support in instances and raids, and
against melee classes.

The damage approach (Arcane/Fire) is kind of twitchy; you want to
practice loading up the initial damage as much as you can. You want just
as much mana as you can come up with, and any reasonable buffs to damage
you can find.

The control approach is not as twitchy; it's more about hindering your
opponent's movement to make it hard for him to hurt you. It does not
work so well against hi-powered casters, and it can be really hard to
kill good healers one-on-one. The Frost route is not so much about DPS,
and good healers can often heal faster than you can do damage.

So you have to decide what you want to be good at. If you want fast PVP
kills and high effectiveness against healers and casters, then you want
the damage build. If you want best instance and raid support in groups
and best effectiveness against melee units, then you want Frost.

I;ve seen other experienced mages recommend mostly Frost with some
amount of talent in Arcane. In my personal experience, if you go Frost,
it's not worth putting anything in Arcane. You can't get the really
worthwhile Arcane talents unless you put a *lot* of points there, and if
you do that you are really diminishing the benefits of the Frost tree.
I'm open to correction if someone else argues for a different build, but
I experimented with various builds and decided that when going Frost, I
prefer to go 51 Frost.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:16:05 PM

lol!
cookie cutter?
if it is, then they all copied from mine build because, I didn't read
or get my build from anywhere.
Every level I pretty much read the powers and... click the one that
sounds cooler :)
If that's a cookie cutter then ... pfft!
August 16, 2005 4:46:10 AM

"KingCreole" <shamble@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I've read on forums that its recommended to build a mage around a 31/20
> build of fire and arcane (assuming you want a fire mage). What exactly
> though is it that people recommend investing in? Can anyone give me a
> breakdown of a nice build like
>
> Improved fireball 4/5.. etc etc until all 51 points are used.
>
> Thanks in advance

I went 33/18, but for leveling not all that different than your plan.
Actually at 32/18, haven't figured out what to do with my last point yet -
it just sits there idle.

For speediest leveling if you play solo often go heavy, heavy fire while
leveling. Leave the Arcane stuff til the end. Exception would be get your
five points in Improved Arcane Missles by about lvl 45 as it gives you a
second viable school of magic to deal damage (at about this level you'll
find occassional mobs highly resistant to fire)

My suggestion would be first 29 points into Fire (skip Incinerate and
Combustion til later, do Ignite after you get Burning Soul and
Flamethrowing), 11 points Arcane, 3 more into Fire and finish off with the
remaining 7 points in Arcane.

I play heavy solo PvE, not much PvP. I do just fine in instances with this
build.. no idea if it's a decent PvP build though. My build goes like this:
------------
Arcane Talents (18 points)

Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points
Gives you a 100% chance to avoid interruption caused by damage while
channeling Arcane Missiles.

Arcane Concentration - 5/5 points
Gives you a 10% chance of entering a Clearcasting state after any damage
spell hits a target. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your
next damage spell by 100%.

Evocation - 1/1 point
While channeling this spell, your mana regeneration is active and increased
by 1500%. Lasts 8 seconds.

Improved Arcane Explosion - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Arcane Explosion by 1.5 seconds.

Improved Counterspell - 2/2 points
Gives your Counterspell a 100% chance to silence the target for 4 seconds.

Frost Talents (0 points)
None

Fire Talents (32 points)

Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
Reduces the casting time of your Fireball by 0.5 seconds.

Impact - 5/5 points
Gives your fire spells a 10% chance to stun the taget for 2 seconds.

Ignite - 5/5 points
Your critical strikes from fire damage spells cause the target to burn for
an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 seconds.

Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
Increases the range of your fire spells by 6 yards.

Burning Soul - 3/3 points
Gives your fire spells a 65% chance to not lose casting time when you take
damage.

Incinerate - 2/2 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire Blast and Scorch spells by
4%.

Pyroblast - 1/1 point
Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes 148 to 195 fire damage and an
additional 56 damage over 12 seconds.

Level 24: 180 to 236 damage, 72 over 12 seconds
Level 30: 255 to 327 damage, 96 over 12 seconds
Level 36: 329 to 419 damage, 124 over 12 seconds
Level 42: 407 to 515 damage, 156 over 12 seconds
Level 54: 600 to 750 damage, 228 over 12 seconds
Level 60: 716 to 890 damage, 268 over 12 seconds

Critical Mass - 3/3 points
Increases the critical strike chance of your fire spells by 6%.

Fire Power - 5/5 points
Increases the damage done by your fire spells by 10%.

Combustion - 1/1 point
When activated, this spell gives your next fire damage spell a 100% critical
strike chance.
!