Installing Printer

Hi,

Our company operates in a managed environment and hence local users arent
allowed to install or delete applications. We have now come to the decision
to grant local users the right to install local printers. I have tried
everything (open up permissions on files and registry, grant load and unload
device driver privileges, etc) other than add the users to the admin group
but nothing seems to be working. I am trying to install a usb printer and it
does not work at all if I am not a member of the admin group. Is there a way
to get past this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about installing printer

    Hi Look at response to "Printer installation rights.....Please" by
    "Northstar Ambulance" on 06/23/05

    It's a similar case, similat situation. You may find something usefull
    there.

    "loquaciousme" <loquaciousme@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    mensaje news:D74F6ABC-0903-4C93-B529-03605520DA68@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Our company operates in a managed environment and hence local users
    arent
    > allowed to install or delete applications. We have now come to the
    decision
    > to grant local users the right to install local printers. I have tried
    > everything (open up permissions on files and registry, grant load and
    unload
    > device driver privileges, etc) other than add the users to the admin group
    > but nothing seems to be working. I am trying to install a usb printer and
    it
    > does not work at all if I am not a member of the admin group. Is there a
    way
    > to get past this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Sorry!:

    that was in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    Oh what the heck!! here goes.... you probably have applied some of this
    but there may be something you can apply.

    Said response says:
    You may have to configure the Plug and Play services to run under the user
    account in Start\Run\services.msc\Plug and Play, and go to Plug and Play
    properties\Start Session\select this account and add the user and password
    apply and restart the computer and logon with the user account to try and
    install the printer. You may also have to apply the same configuration to
    Universal Plug and Play Host service, and SSDP discovery service.. but I
    would put them off for now and only configure them as last resort.

    the previous may be all you need to do but just in case here are some other
    ideas:
    If the configuration on Plug and Play does not allow the user to install
    printers go to Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\View\uncheck 'Hide
    system protected files (recommended)'. also select 'Show all hidden files
    and folders' and also uncheck 'Use simple file sharing (recommended)

    Then look for C:\WINDOWS\System32\Spool\Printers and right clic, select
    Properties\Security and write down a note of the default permissions already
    in use to re-extablish them after you do the next changes; next go to
    Advanced Options\Permissions and remove the check mark in 'Inherit from the
    main object those permission entries etc.. and add a check mark in 'Replace
    permission entries on all secondary objects etc.. ' now add the
    Administrators and user groups with the automatic default permission
    settings and independently add the special user account and clic on 'Modify'
    and check on Total Control\accept\exit\ and verify on the main Security
    windows that the permissions are again the same as you had previously
    written down except for the 'special' user account which should have
    administrator level permissions. Apply, Accept and exit. Go back into
    Tools\Folder Options and check back on Do not show all hidden files and
    folders and on Simple file sharing and alo on Hide system protected files
    (recommended) and restart the computer.

    You may also have to apply the same permission settings in
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer (also a hidden system folder) If the permission
    modifications in the Printers folder does not give full printer installing
    capabilities to the special user account. this is for installation of
    software but it may be necessary to install printer drivers.

    Apply each one of these configurations and restart the computer after each
    and see if the user account can now install the printer.

    ----------------------------
    "Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi Look at response to "Printer installation rights.....Please" by
    > "Northstar Ambulance" on 06/23/05
    >
    > It's a similar case, similat situation. You may find something usefull
    > there.

    > "loquaciousme" <loquaciousme@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    > mensaje news:D74F6ABC-0903-4C93-B529-03605520DA68@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Our company operates in a managed environment and hence local users
    > arent
    > > allowed to install or delete applications. We have now come to the
    > decision
    > > to grant local users the right to install local printers. I have tried
    > > everything (open up permissions on files and registry, grant load and
    > unload
    > > device driver privileges, etc) other than add the users to the admin
    group
    > > but nothing seems to be working. I am trying to install a usb printer
    and
    > it
    > > does not work at all if I am not a member of the admin group. Is there a
    > way
    > > to get past this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Configuration Customization Printers Windows XP