raw thumbnails

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 9, 2005 10:12:04 PM

I have searched the group but haven't found an answer to this fairly
basic question. I have a Minolta A1 which gives raw files an MRW
extension. When I view the MRW files on ACDsee each file also is
accompanied by a 3k thumbnail which has a CRW extension. What is the
purpose of this thumbnail? Is it Ok to delete them before working on
the Raw file in Photoshop ( and thus converting it to a TIFF file)?
They clutter up my folders so often I delete them which doesn't seem to
affect the raw file itself.
So my question is twofold: 1. What is the purpose of a CRW file and 2.
is it Ok to delete them?

Thanks in advance

Fish

More about : raw thumbnails

September 10, 2005 11:22:39 AM

that seems to make sense. As I said deleting these files once they are
out of the camera doesn't seem to affect the raw files themselves. So I
will go on deleting them!

Thanks

Fish
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:19:55 PM

fish wrote:

>I have searched the group but haven't found an answer to this fairly
>basic question. I have a Minolta A1 which gives raw files an MRW
>extension. When I view the MRW files on ACDsee each file also is
>accompanied by a 3k thumbnail which has a CRW extension. What is the
>purpose of this thumbnail? Is it Ok to delete them before working on
>the Raw file in Photoshop ( and thus converting it to a TIFF file)?
>They clutter up my folders so often I delete them which doesn't seem to
>affect the raw file itself.
>So my question is twofold: 1. What is the purpose of a CRW file and 2.
>is it Ok to delete them?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Fish

I could be wrong but I suspect that the thumbnail is embedded in the raw
data so that the image can be previewed from within the camera.
When viewing my Nikon (NEF) files with Kuickshow image browser, the
files show up as low-res (tiff) thumbnails.

September 10, 2005 4:01:08 PM

That is how it works with the Oly E-10.

--
Thanks,