Cool & Quiet vs C1E

Status
Not open for further replies.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
What is the difference between the two functions above? I see them both referenced in BIOS when Overclocking is discussed, but they seem to represent the same thing; slowing the CPU to reduce heat and speed when not needed.

Solution
Actually, Cool N Quiet is the idle state, C1 allows the cpu to essentially shut off unused cores, C1E is AMD's additional feature that puts the entire cpu in sleep mode if all cores are in C1 mode.

For overclocking, disable C6.

C6 is the mid-clock state and is the cause of frequency bouncing, it does this to reduce power consumption and heat, but if your overclocking, it attemps to compensate by slowing it back down.

I run my 8120 at 4.7 ghz and only disabled C6. If you disable CnQ and C1, C6, ect., your cpu will run full speed all the time. I would only recommend during the testing phase so you know what your temps will be, unless you want a high power bill when the computer is just on and doing nothing.

popatim

Titan
C1e is an enhanced power state used by processors and not required by the apci standard. Basically the cpu just halts (stops processing) but can wake up when needed to resume. Kinda like a super fast sleep mode.

CoolnQuiet is more of a system wide implementation of power saving technology; controlling not only processor speed and voltages but fans also. It should be obvious CnQ will work dispite c1e being on or off as only C1 is required, but every little bit helps
:)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Actually, Cool N Quiet is the idle state, C1 allows the cpu to essentially shut off unused cores, C1E is AMD's additional feature that puts the entire cpu in sleep mode if all cores are in C1 mode.

For overclocking, disable C6.

C6 is the mid-clock state and is the cause of frequency bouncing, it does this to reduce power consumption and heat, but if your overclocking, it attemps to compensate by slowing it back down.

I run my 8120 at 4.7 ghz and only disabled C6. If you disable CnQ and C1, C6, ect., your cpu will run full speed all the time. I would only recommend during the testing phase so you know what your temps will be, unless you want a high power bill when the computer is just on and doing nothing.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Thanks, very helpful. So, for a Phenom II X6 1090T that I will be overclocking a bit, should I disable C6 (if I can find where to do it) and leave C1E and C&Q enabled then?

Status
Not open for further replies.