Sign in with
Your question

Building a new rig, in need of help with the PSU

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2013 10:17:59 PM

Hi. I'm putting up a new rig and seeing as I like to do a little gaming, I'm putting up something that I think will cover my needs. I'm not really into FPSes and overall most triple A titles, so it's a machine more focused on some MMOs and some more 'niche' games, stuff like Phantasy Star Online 2, for instance, lol. :kaola: 

That said, this is what I have in mind:

- i3 3320 @ 3.30 GHz (I wanted the 2120 since it was cheaper, but I can't find it anywhere locally, so... lol)
- 4 GB RAM DDR3
- ASUS P8H61
- Radeon HD 6850

Now, my question is more related to the PSU. I've no real clue of how much I should be aiming for, but I was wondering if the Corsair CX 430 would be enough to supply this machine properly? I don't feel like I'm going to be doing any OC'ing or upgrading this with Crossfire and stuff like that any time soon, so it's basically this build. Thanks in advance.

More about : building rig psu

a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 10:29:17 PM

That PSU is more than enough for the PC specs you laid out even if you overclock your GPU (you can't overclock the cpu or go CFX with that motherboard/cpu)

one thing is that the motherboard you chose are all micro-atx or mini-itx motherboards.
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:38:46 PM

I see, thanks. as for the micro-itx thing, I must confess it is not something I am acquainted with. But if it's related to the not being able to do crossfire, that's fine -- I wasn't exactly planning to, so it's not a huge bummer. Anyhow, are there any issues with the board that I should know of, aside from that? Like I said, I'm not exactly doing any heavy work with the machine and the gaming will be quite "light", haha.

Once again, thanks for the help.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 10:46:32 PM

burucchi said:
I see, thanks. as for the micro-itx thing, I must confess it is not something I am acquainted with. But if it's related to the not being able to do crossfire, that's fine -- I wasn't exactly planning to, so it's not a huge bummer. Anyhow, are there any issues with the board that I should know of, aside from that? Like I said, I'm not exactly doing any heavy work with the machine and the gaming will be quite "light", haha.

Once again, thanks for the help.

I just brought up the form factor because it would affect the case you get. like you wouldn't want to get a mid tower case for a micro-itx since it's so damn small... and there would be so much empty space in the case...
m
l
!