Sign in with
Your question

Fan Voltage

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2013 11:02:34 PM

I have a brand new system i built myself. my asus sabretooth z77 came with two accessory fans that make an annoying whine once i start running any big program like a game. im planning on replacing them with evercool fans (one 40mm and one 35mm). The 35mm fan says it is a "12v" fan and the 40mm one says its "5v." does it matter how many volts it is? will they work if i plug these into my MB? Thanks in advanced.

More about : fan voltage

a c 153 ) Power supply
January 7, 2013 11:56:27 PM

It is odd that one fan would be marked 5V. All fans and their headers on the board should be +12V. The Asst fans for the Thermal Armor cooling solution would have no reason to be 5V. Are you sure you are interpreting it correctly?

To answer your question in general terms, yes... it matters what voltage you connect a fan to.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 12:45:02 AM

35mm and 40mm arent the size of fans you would normally use

they are so small they will have to spin at very high speed to move much air

like 4500rpm or 5000rpm

the noise from them will be loud

but yes evercool do seem to do a 5v fan

http://www.directron.com/ec5010m05ca.html
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 12:51:31 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
35mm and 40mm arent the size of fans you would normally use

they are so small they will have to spin at very high speed to move much air

like 4500rpm or 5000rpm

the noise from them will be loud

but yes evercool do seem to do a 5v fan

http://www.directron.com/ec5010m05ca.html

I believe he's talking about the supplied mini fans for the cooling of the "Thermal Armor" covering the Sabertooth board.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABE...
But I don't understand why they would provide a 5V fan. I;m thinking he is misreading something. They would almost have to both be 12V.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 1:01:34 AM

see what you mean now

its 3am here and brain not working properly :( 

i thought they meant to use them as case fans or something

the problem is any fan that small is likely to make an irritating noise if its spinning at any speed
m
l
a c 153 ) Power supply
January 8, 2013 1:15:38 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
see what you mean now

its 3am here and brain not working properly :( 

i thought they meant to use them as case fans or something

the problem is any fan that small is likely to make an irritating noise if its spinning at any speed

I agree. The small hi RPM fan is inclined to produce a nasty whine. Especially enclosed in the funnel-like design of the 'Thermal Armor' canopy.
m
l
January 23, 2013 8:34:23 PM

clutchc said:
It is odd that one fan would be marked 5V. All fans and their headers on the board should be +12V. The Asst fans for the Thermal Armor cooling solution would have no reason to be 5V. Are you sure you are interpreting it correctly?

To answer your question in general terms, yes... it matters what voltage you connect a fan to.

i think there was a misunderstanding. i meant the ones i want to buy are labeled 5v. I thought maybe a new 40MM would help the noise. for now i used ai suite to make it so it doesn't spin unless my mobo gets to 40c.

although often my top case fan has been making a ticking when i start my system. waiting 20 minutes or opening up the system and pushing the fan prong things back seems to fix it for a little bit.
m
l
!